dp400

Aug 8, 2001
I'm looking to buy a used 65 for my 8 year old son - coming off a TTR 90.
Kawasaki seems to be a nice bike - has there been any differences between the years? I will probably be looking at 2000-2002 due to the $. Looking to spend around $1500 - should I be able to get a bike in great shape for that price?

What to look for in a 65? - how often does the top / bottom end need to be redone - raced/not raced?

KTM looks like a great bike (I am a KTM rider) but don't think I can find one in my price range - 2002 or newer that is ( I hear the 2002s and newer are just better than the older bikes).

Thanks Guys

Dan

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Definitely go with an '02 or newer on any of the 65's. Kawasaki had some frame problems in either '01 or '02 if I remember correctly. Top ends vary depending on how hard the rider is on it.

My son was aggressive and I would change rings every two weeks and a piston monthly. This included around 10 hrs of practice a week plus 4 motos on the weekend.

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
Dan,

Keep in mind that the Kawasaki and Suzuki are the exact same bike with differant colered plastic. Either bike is great..... I love the KTM's but there are so few dealers around and they are a little higher priced. My son has a RM65 and we change the piston and rings every 3 months. He is a new rider so isn't riding very aggressivly yet.

Good Luck...

Steven

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I have a young friend with a 2002 KX 65. He made the step up from the TTR 90 as well.

The bike has been ridden hard and raced for over 1 1/2 years. The bike has needed NOTHING other than normal maintenance. We are going to change the piston and rings out of guilt.

The bike has been so good that his father and I joke about us buying KX 65's for ourselves.

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
I agree with the RCannon's post. My son raced his KX65 for almost two full seasons before I replaced the piston. The only reason I did was because he'd gotten into an accident where the other bike's front brake lever tore his air cleaner box tube and the bike was sucking dirt for three motos before I realized. The piston, rings and cylinder were still perfect when I opened her up.

I also dropped the needle one notch and have not changed anything else about the carb from North Dakota to Virginia riding, winter to summer. Nada, zip, nothing. If it ain't broke...

deadhead

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
My son moved up from an XR70 to the KX65 about two months ago. When he first got it I was thinking it was just too much bike for him. After about 3 rides he was spanking it!

The KX's are get youth MX bikes. We bought a clean (and local) 2002 for $1,800. That seems to be the going price. You are better off with a 65 than a 60.

Top Bottom