CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Well, I'm biting the bullet and going to pick me up a thumper Saturday. 95% sure i'm getting a '00 DRZ400. Never ridden one, but I'm sure I'll like it. It's priced cheap enough that I'll buy it even if I don't like it. Anyone have any pro's or con's of the DRZ?

Im a little worried about the weght. Can you really feel the extra weight between a 250 2 smoke and a big 4?

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Yes, you will notice the weight. What you do about it will depend on your riding style!

For most riders who have lived their whole life on a two stroke, the four stroke will feel yukky when they first ride it. It'll feel top heavy, sluggish and pig-like.

It's really not that bad, it just requires a different riding style and mind-set to make the bike into something great.

If you try to ride it like a two stroke, you'll never like it. If you ride it like what it was designed to be, a great trail thumper, then you'll have a good time!

BTW, to really bring out the best in the DRZ, get a Baja Designs kit and make it street legal! These bikes love to explore two track.

You are getting the Electric Start model, aren't you? You'll like it MUCH better with that happy button.

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
i agree, ride a four stroke like a four stroke and rev the heck out of two strokes. weight will be an issue. i just sold my big old fourstroke, and i love riding a buddies two smoke cause they felt soooooooooo much lighter, but i liked the power of mine better. Send the thing to Jenny Craig and you'll like it a lot. you will never notice it but to excel on a fourstroke you will change to meet the bikes needs, not your own.

gulliver

May 4, 2001
-OR-

You could buy the DRZ400S. With a few mods, you can make it more like the dirt version. I believe this is better than getting the dirt version and Baja kit.

I have a KTM dual sport, and riding on the road is a nice option. I would be nice if more manufacturers offered dual sport versions of their dirt bikes like Suzuki.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
You could buy the DRZ400S. With a few mods, you can make it more like the dirt version. I believe this is better than getting the dirt version and Baja kit.

The street version is much more difficult to get into dirt-worthiness than the other way around, unless you live somewhere that makes it hard to get a license.

The KTM dual-sporters are great, but the DRZ street legal version is more street and much less dirt to the average person.

The main reason is they cheaped out on the street legal version, the forks are cheaper, the shock is cheaper, the carb is cheaper...these things alone would make me lean towards the dirt version.

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
Do not leave out the fact that the DRZ dirt model motor puts another 6-8hp more than the street model.Cam profile,compression ratio,headpipe diameter are a few of the differences along with 30lbs of weight.No comparison between the two if you do any serious off roading.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
The dirt model also has a pumper carb whereas the street has a cv.

jonesy

Jan 31, 2000
I own a 00' DRZ/E and this is my first thumper. Previously a 2 stroke 250 rider, I was surprised with this bike. The ONLY time I notice any of the extra weight is when braking very hard( it still doesn't feel that heavy) or picking it up on a hillside. I can't speak for other four strokes, but the E doesn't feel at all top heavy. The bike is VERY nimble(although slightly unstable in high speed bumps), and the power characteristics are awsome. Most taller riders find the stock bar position to low and to far back. I'm 5'7" and kx renthals were a fix for me, but if you are 6' or taller, you might want to change the triple clamp.
once you put on a pipe, rejet, and open up the airbox, this bike will hang with just about anything.:cool:

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
Magellan,you are correct the S model has a 36mm Mikuni CV carb and the dirt only a 39 mm Kiehin pumper carb.Considerable performance right there alone in rough stuff.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I can't wait!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to pick it up in about half an hour.
I went and looked at it and started it yesterday(going to ride it today). It did feel a little heavier, but not like I expected. I agree with you jonesy. I don't think I will notice the weight until I have to pick it up off the ground. The bike has FMF Power bomb header and power core IV2 muffler, Rally Pro handguards, IMS pegs, and CEET gripper. All which I probably would have put on myself if they weren't already on it.

What kind of money is this bike worth? This bike is being sold by a Suz. dealer. The bike is in near showroom condition.

Thanks for all the info.

P.S. Man that e-start sure is nice!:)

Top Bottom