Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
First, I want to explain what the "TrueSpode Trophy", since renamed "The Lori Nyland Award" is all about for the DirtWeek Noobs. Sorry I wasn't able to get it out of my mouth; I in fact started thinking about having to talk about it, shortly after starting the plaques/trophies for all the events; it caused some serious brain fade on my part, lol.. thanks for putting-up with it. I hope everyone ended-up with the right awards!

The TrueSpode award was first put in place to present to the rider that best eximplified what we are all about... this could have been won on any number of criteria. Basically, the mods all got together and picked an attendee that really seemed "to get it"; what dirtweek was about, what being part of "the family" is about.

Rewind time a little. Lori (wife of Mike (HighLord Gomer), was really something special. Being an RN, I suppose she felt an obligation (she went WAY beyound the call of duty) to help downed riders, mend the bumps and bruises that come with our sport... she also completely understood what DW is about and always seemed to be "there" when you needed her. She always had a HUGE smile and always treated each and every one of us as her own. She was an absolute joy to be around and have around.

A few years ago, it was discovered that Lori had cancer; in several places. The last DirtWeek she attended, she had undergone lots of Chemo and then surgery the MORNING she left for DirtWeek.. telling the Doc that she needed to get it done quick so they could leave for Oklahoma.

Her last DW was no different than her first... she was everywhere. The last act I recall is seeing her laying in the dirt with a downed rider, waiting on the air lift to get there. All she cared about was making the person feel better, doing everything she could to calm and soothe. Nothing could slow her down, no matter how weak from treatments, she was ALWAYS there for everyone else.

We lost Lori, but she will ALWAYS be at DirtWeek.

Last year, as always, Mike (HLG) was there to present the first "Lori"... to Tony Eeds. This year, Mike wasn't able to attend... for the first time ever, due to upcoming surgery. I've always relied on Mike to present the more "emotional" awards, specifically, the one named after his wife. Nobody can speak of her and what the award means like he can. I'm typically not even able to speak afterwards, much less do the award justice taking Mike's place in the presentation.

So please forgive; hopefully Mike will be back next year and the awards will go a little more smoothly and Lori's namesake will be given it's just due.

We miss you Lori.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
well said okie. dont be so hard on yourself for sat nights presentation. we were feeling the same way you were.....a little lost without her.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Bob: Your love for Lori and how much she meant to everyone that had the pleasure of knowing her was evident in your words and emotions on Saturday. I salute you for a job well done.

Lori will always be a part of DirtWeek and those lucky enough to have known her. That is God's blessing of eternity. She lives in us.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Just reading your post brought tears to my eyes. She was and is what dirtweek was all about. I remember laying on the ground looking up at her the last year she was there and knowing everything was going to work out just fine for me I wish I could have repaid it to her

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
oldguy said:
Just reading your post brought tears to my eyes. She was and is what dirtweek was all about.

Ditto.

Being a part of the DRN family. You really need to attend Dirt Week to fully understand it.

Okie, you did a wonderful job of the awards presentations!!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I obviously wasn't there for the award this year but I will never forget the presentation she recieved her last year under the tent with us. God it was a moving experience and that moment will live with me forever.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I was one of the ones blessed to have met her and experienced some of what you noted. As was said above, we felt the same way, and an even longer pause would have been understood. Sure do miss her.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Thanks for telling the story. I knew there must have been deep meaning behind the tears, but felt obligated to leave it alone. Matt

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Seeing in person your respect and affection for Lori, Bob, made us noobs understand that she was a special part of the DRN family. Understanding the whole story, even more so. Thats what makes this DRN thing so special. That family atmosphere is sorely missed in this strange world of ours. I knew the minute we stepped onto the red dirt, when Thump greeted us, we had made the right decision in going to DW.

The awards ceremony went exactly as it should have.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Thank you all.

I'm sorry I couldn't be there this year, but it sounds like my DRN family kept alive Lori's spirit of love and concern for friends both new and old.

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Well said Bob.
Lori will forever be in our hearts. She was such an inspiration to us all. Her strength, courage and her love of others has encouraged us all, to be the best person we can be. We miss you Lori, and I know you were watching over us all at DW. Thanks

Top Bottom