Sorry in advance.. I"m New. Please help! I have a LEAK.

Rusty82

Jun 25, 2009
Hello, I set up this account a while back and never used it. I am not really used to how forums work but a buddy said that most of the time I could get some pretty good help on one. I am sure this is not where to post this topic but please read and let me know if I should move the post. Thanks.

Here is the deal. I bought a 2007 crf250x brand new off the sales floor last year in june. I notice that I had a leak under the bike some time last year (maybe around sept). I thought it was normal to maybe have a little leak after riding but I wasn't sure. Never thought to ask. But I had a buddy come by and asking about the bike and was wondering why I had some leaking fluid under the bike. "that is not normal he said". So i investigated the leak further and noticed it is coming from the shift peg. It is a redish color and I am not sure what is needing to be done. Is this normal or should I take the bike in to be looked at. I have changed the oil and the trans fluid once and I have put 145 miles on the bike . Please help if you can.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
First, determine exactly where the leak is coming from. Wash the engine using a good degreaser like Dawn dishwashing liquid and then go ride it. With a clean engine, it should be obvious where the leak is coming from. If it is coming from the shifter area, you probably need a new shift shaft seal. These are very easy to replace. Just take a sharp pointy object and pry the old one out and using a deep socket the same size as the seal, pound the new one in.

If you changed your oil, make sure you drained the oil from two different places. One for the engine and one for the transmission. If you didn't, you could have overfilled one or the other. Refer to your manual for this.

Hope that helps. :cool:

Sorry Indy. Looks like we posted at the same time. ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Whats the chances of the shift shaft being bent? They have a bad tendency when dropped just correctly, to bend the shaft a little. Bad part is you will not know unless you pull the clutch cover off, and pull the shaft out. Vintage Bob

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Eric Gorr showed me another trick for tracking down the leak location- Once the engine is clean cover it with a coating of baby powder. This will keep the fluid from running all over the surface from being blown or gravity making it clearer where the leak actually is

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
oldguy said:
Eric Gorr showed me another trick for tracking down the leak location- Once the engine is clean cover it with a coating of baby powder. This will keep the fluid from running all over the surface from being blown or gravity making it clearer where the leak actually is

Good point oldguy. :cool:

Spray underarm deodorant works good for this too. The kind that dries with a chalky white film. With the spray can, it's easier to apply and not as messy as baby powder.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom