Sound Level Meter

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Good tool to have out here, can I borrow yours?:)

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
+-2db isn't that wildly inaccurate? +3db is an increase of 100% !!!!

ricky1

Jan 18, 2000
zsr

I certainly understand your point, but even the $600 model is +- 1.5dB. Also, at a legal level of 101dB isn't +- 2dB like 2% ?

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
yeah.... +-2db is pretty accurate... and for only $60 it sounds like a good deal

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Re: zsr

Originally posted by ricky1
I certainly understand your point, but even the $600 model is +- 1.5dB. Also, at a legal level of 101dB isn't +- 2dB like 2% ?

No Rick, Every increase of 3db is an increase of 100%

E.g. 90db is twice as loud as 87db, which is twice as loud as 84db.

Odd I know, but thats how it works..... so +- 2db is a bit of a waste of time, like having a tyre pressure guage thats +- 10psi !!!!

spodeinator

Jun 27, 2001

You must be thinking of those Metric decibels :)

spode.

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Fom Britannica

"...(dB), unit for expressing the ratio between two amounts of electric or acoustic power or for measuring the relative loudness of sounds. One decibel (0.1 bel) equals 10 times the common logarithm of the power ratio—i.e., doubling the intensity of a sound means an increase of a little more than three dB. …"

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Re: Re: zsr

Originally posted by zsr
E.g. 90db is twice as loud as 87db, which is twice as loud as 84db.

Well, maybe not. "Loudness" is not the same as sonic power or intensity, which is what the db scale represents. So 90db has twice the intensity as 87db, but that does not necessarily mean that it's twice as loud, since "loudness" is more subjective. The rule of thumb seems to be that every ten decibel increase will seem to an "average" listener to be about twice as loud - but that also can depend on the pitch of the sound.

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Re: Re: Re: zsr

Originally posted by BRush

but that also can depend on the pitch of the sound.

well that bit at least is correct. But remember we are not comparing an open V8 to a neighbours Hi Fi, but a bike engine to a (the same?) bike engine.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Re: Re: Re: Re: zsr

Originally posted by zsr
But remember we are not comparing an open V8 to a neighbours Hi Fi, but a bike engine to a (the same?) bike engine.

I agree completely. I was merely pointing out that Your statement to ricky1 that "90db is twice as loud as 87db" is not really correct. Loudness and intensity are related but not the same, since loudness contains a large subjective component. Britannica had it right. If you had said that 90db represents twice the intensity as 87db - that would have been more accurate.

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
If the meter is only off by 2dB's then it's not a waste of my time. If it gets to be off by about 6dB's then it would.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
An increase of 3db is a noticeable difference. I have one of those Radio Shack meters too and I seldom use it, not because it isn't accurate but because it's not practical. A 4khz frequency at 90db to me is a lot more irritating than an 80hz frequency at 100db.

Higher frequencies travel faster than lower frequencies but they fade out quicker, especially on a humid day. Go figure:eek:

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Most people can't really discern a difference of 2dB. And yes, the freqs you are measuring make a huge difference. The small turbine generator I worked on previously passed the test/spec if you only measured out to 14kHz but failed miserably if you upped the range to 20kHz. I think those numbers are correct but I may be off a little bit. The spec was written with reciprocating engines in mind not turbines We met the letter of the law but not the spirit. Even then nobody thought the noise was objectionable, just different. Acoustics is almost like statistics - make the numbers say what you want them to. It doesn't matter if you exceed the limit if nobody complains:)

Brian

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…