Sounds like a deisel when hot??????

Thorina

Jan 18, 2002
I've read through the FAQs....though it spoke of rattle at idle....it made no mention of my exact problem.
Ok, I've got an '04 200. In my third race on it (it was broken in and less then a month old....had 4 total race/rides on it)....it heated up and seized in REALLY deep sand. After about a half hour and messing with it, I did get it to kick through, and then finally start.
Now....ever since then and two top ends later...needing a third....it still sounds like a deisel truck when it gets hot....also goes through quite a bit of coolant. I've checked the cylander for scoring, ovaling, and tollerences....rod bearings seem ok, too.
Oh, and I changed out the radiator cap thinking this would help....no go....does the same thing exactly.
Since it is getting hot to begin with....and the gawd aweful noise it makes once hot....and the serious lack of power once the noise starts happening....tells me there is *something* wrong. I have 2 other KDX 200s and even beat to death....neither behaves this way at all....not even close.
I say it sounds like a deisel....it is *not* the same sound as say a KX500 makes when pinned....that knocking/pinging needs some lead sound. It's not the old car going up hill sort of knocking, either....really does sound like a deisel truck....kack, kack, kack, kack, kack kinda sound. Really horrible sound.
If anything I am running it on the rich side....so I don't feel it's a jetting problem or anything like that.
I have checked into everything I can think of other then splitting the cases and having a look-see....I suppose that's next....but I'd rather not if there is another possible problem that can be fixed without doing so.
Anyway....if anyone has a clue what I should be looking for to fix this problem....I'd really appreciate it.

peace,
janette

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Are you getting white smoke out of the exhaust? Verified that the KIPS is working correctly? Have you check the reeds?

-Maurice

Thorina

Jan 18, 2002
I'll look over it all again and get back to ya, k. I've been through the whole dang thing several times.
Thanks!

peace,
janette

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
Obviously, it's running too hot. Use a colder spark plug. Use racing fuel. Check your water pump to see if it is working OK. Flush the entire cooling sytem to make sure nothing is clogged.

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
Make sure all of the non-engine bolts (like radiator mounts) are torqued down. I had a rattle fool me for awhile. I must have been in too big a hurry to put the bike back together after rebuild to kick and see if it would run. Otherwise, you'll probably find your answer the next time you inspect the top end or split the case. I tend to check easy stuff first though.

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Your head gasket might be leaking coolant into the engine once the coolant/engine gets warmed and coolant pressure builds. Have you been putting new gaskets on every time you do the top-end?

Thorina

Jan 18, 2002
I posted a long message the other day....but I've been having internet and puter problems and I guess it didn't go through.
Might be a KIPS problem. I plan to really make sure all is well this next time I go through it.
Nope....not changing to a different plug, nor will I run race gas in it. My other 2 KDXs do just fine on a regular race plug and high test pump gas. I refuse to pamper a "trail bike" like that. Other of our bikes *need* that sort of pampering....but a KDX should not. It just isn't a bike that should be prissy, tempermental, or need that much pampering. She's build to be a workhorse.
I do put new gaskets in each time I have to crack one. I am festidious about gaskets. Even if it comes off clean....it goes in the trash and I put a new one on. I am also freakishly festidious on torque requirements. LOL
I just got my arm out of a cast....as soon as I am able to wrench again....I'll be going through the whole bike once again.
At first guess....since seizing it....it really appears to be a problem with the cylander....out of round or some such thing. But I have checked it and rechecked it and rechecked it. It is as round as can be and doesn't show any obvious signs of damage. My '00 has an almost egg shaped cylander and some pretty serious scoring....and it actually runs better then the new one! LOL And out of round cylander can definately lead to overhating and noise....but it's usually more of a clackity clack sorta sound. My '00 makes that sound from the piston rattling around in the cylander.
If I don't find anything obvious....I am getting rid of the bike. I really have no need to continually tinker with it.
If it's not in the KIPS or anything obvious....it's most likely something that I need to split the cases to fix.(When it makes the noise....it *sounds* like it's coming from down below) Everything "seems" right....but who knows....and if that's the case....the bike goes bye-bye.
Sometimes ya just get a funky one off the assembly line....just one of those things.
I was just asking if there was something inherent in KDXs that perhaps I'd overlooked. I know they made frame design changes between the '00 and the '04....I was wondering if there were any other changes that perhaps didn't work out so well.

peace,
janette

Thorina

Jan 18, 2002
Yes, nice circulation happening. It doesn't seem to be a coolant problem at all. No Probs with the radiators....they are pristine and still very clean. I've been having this same issue with it since it was brand new. I don't know if seizing it made the problem....or if there was already a problem which is what caused it to seize. I was revving it out pretty bad in deep sand....but still....it still should not have seized like that. Also....if it really seized....it should never have started again....or at the very least has some obvious signs of damage due to it seizing....and it doesn't. Just one of those things that has kept me going Hmmm....for 6 months now. LOL

peace,
janette

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
Maybe, for some odd reason, the piston - cylinder clearance is insufficient. Maybe a factory flaw. Oversize piston or undersize cylinder may not allow enough clearance for thermal expansion once it gets hot. I'm sure someone on this site could tell you what the clearance should be if you don't already know. Have you measured the piston O.D. and cylinder I.D.? I think there should be a couple thousandths clearance anyway or somewhere in the .002" - .005" range? Someone help me out here. What's the spec. on that??? Anybody???

Top Bottom