"Spank you very much!" Jawbone, 6 weeks

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Let's see here, we've got trail inventory to do.
The Squid Filter: This trail begins with a monstrous hill climb that tops out on a ridge that goes to another hillclimb that goes to a very rocky outcropping that usually results in a loop out or some other catastrophy brought on by clutch finger paralysis. After clearing the uphill section there is a series of cross-grained valleys that culminate in an escape to the intersection of the ditch of doom.
The Squid Filter Option: Same as above but stop at the rock outcropping and drop off to the right into the "Gorge of Eternal Peril"
The Wall: BIG hillclimb within seeing eye view of camp, binoculars help, however, to get more "detail". If you have a good headlight, you will be encouraged to attempt the Wall at night. It worked for Bonehead but he crashed halfway up and crinkled his radiator on his brand new 520, it gets really dark all of a sudden when you crash at night! Carnage!
Backwards Enduro Loop: A staple in the Jawbone reportiore, the B.E.L. is one gnarly a$$ trail. Originally a downhill-only trail for an old D-37 Enduro, this trail is now a milestone in many off-roader's book of accomplishments. Unfortunately, it is also a milestone in many on off-roader's book of failures! There are sections of the trail that branch off onto other technical trails in the nether regions of Jawbone. If you can master the B.E.L. you have only touched the tip of the iceberg! What makes it worse is that it is usually combined with the......
Ditch of Doom: A small hillclimb compared to the Wall or other big sand hills but VERY STEEP with no approach. Excellent spectating, I might add. The Ditch of Doom can also be approached by the....
Shortcut to the Ditch of Doom: Prudence tells me that I must warn all readers that the term "short cut" in this particular instance is not entirely true.
Dopey Trail: Ok, so I have this nickname attached to me but there's nothing I can do about it, and don't ask how I got it! I devised this trail by looking at the available terrain, going from point A to point B, elevation gain/loss, degree of difficulty divided by degree of shameful selfishness and , well, because it just had to be done! It's very technical and, like most trails in Jawbone, requires a lot of hillclimbing skill.
Butterball: This is the biggest, baddest, meanest, ugliest, most repugnant, most crashed on and LEAST climbed hill in all of Southern California. It is a hillclimber's dream AND nightmare. It's 800 feet or so but half way up it becomes rocky and full of four-foot ledges that you don't see from the bottom. Only a handful of 250s have ever made it up and Open Class bikes need a good pilot.
Poo Poo Trail: This trail was found early one morning on a constitutional venture. It begins with a six-foot waterfall leap to a four-foot rock ledge, and that's only the first ten feet! It get's worse/better on the downside.
Technical Loop: Not far from the usual campsite, this marvel of human misadventure has dissuaded hundreds of innocent victims from ever riding a motorcycle again!
The Goatroper: Can you say "sidehill"? Can you say "sidehill hillclimb"? Can you say "sidehill hillclimb downhill switchback"? etc...

Well, you get the picture, eh? Myself, I can't wait to get back down to my old stomping grounds and get into all sorts of trouble with my old friends from SoCal. Riding and competing in Oregon is great and everything but still there is nothing like the gnarly hills of Jawbone for me. I'm bringing a bunch of my friends from the NW from November 17 through the 25 and I'd sure like to meet some of you down there. Trust me, it's not half as bad as it sounds, it's twice as bad as it sounds. Happy trails!

Last edited:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
The wall

I think it was "The wall" that was part of the TWMC fun event at Jawbone two weeks ago. I thought I could do it, but about half way up, it suddenly became more vertical and there was more traction. :eek:
The resulting "wheely" had me jumping off and with bike landing a good thirty feet further up and off to side from where I was. My daughter said that people at he bottom went "ooooooooh!:scream: . I don't mind providing entertainment.

Also, early in the morning, someday came over and said, "we're going for a little trail ride, just B loop stuff ya' know." When we took off, it became apparant that these guys were Desert experts and knew exactly where they were going (probably to a "squid filter"), so I decided to turn back, using dust and limited visibilty as an excuse.

Thanks to Placelast's post, I was "introduced" to Jawbone and had a good time there. It should be even better with the cool temps of November (I hope I can be there).

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I've seen 'the wall', and am well aware of the treacherous pitfalls that await those brave enough to venture out to Jawbone, as that's where I learned to ride at years ago. You are giving me flashbacks/nightmares now!
Are you planning any B/squid loops? I'm finding in my later years that crashing actually hurts now, and I wouldn't mind a good fast, easy ride.:confused:

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hi fellas, yes, there will be ample B loops available. With the amount of riders that will be there, we will have to divide rides according to skill level, mileage, treacherosity, etc. Just like any get together with a bunch of different riders. There are some OUTSTANDING easy rides too. Riding over to Red Rock, Dove Springs, Randsburg or Robbers Roost is all fun desert stuff and not full of death-march material. About half of the people coming down from the Northwest will be intermediate riders. Just typing about it makes my fingers all tingly, I can't wait.

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Yo dopey! It's Chris the owner of Kiwi's previously enjoyed CR500!:think
I was reading your post and realised it was you! Looking forward to seeing you and your crew TG weekend!:)

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hiya Chris! What's this about a "previously enjoyed" CR500? Didn't Kiwi remove the training wheels when he sold it to you?

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Thank & Spank Weekend

The previous reply can't be clicked on cuz it only picks up part of the line. You must highlight and copy. Seems to copy better if you start from the end of the line to copy!
We deeply regret any inconvenience this may have caused you, however maintaining that the picture is worth the trouble!

sincerely
not the management:cool:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by endoqwest
Let's see here, we've got trail inventory to do.
"usually results in a loop out or some other catastrophy"
"ditch of doom"
"Gorge of Eternal Peril"
"you will be encouraged to attempt the Wall at night"
"crashed halfway up and crinkled his radiator"
"Carnage!"
"the B.E.L. is one gnarly a$$ trail."
"Unfortunately, it is also a milestone in many on off-roader's book of failures!"
"VERY STEEP with no approach. Excellent spectating, I might add."
"Butterball: This is the biggest, baddest, meanest, ugliest, most repugnant, most crashed on and LEAST climbed hill in all of Southern California."
"this marvel of human misadventure has dissuaded hundreds of innocent victims from ever riding a motorcycle again!"
"Trust me, it's not half as bad as it sounds, it's twice as bad as it sounds."

With quotes like that it sounds like something that I (or any other So. Cal. rider) should not miss. I have never been to Jaw Bone but have heard nothing but good things about it. Count me in.

Chris - Who's your froggie?? That was too funny........

Top Bottom