spark arrester

tml4ever

May 28, 2008
I took the spark arrester out of my exhaust to clean it, but it is wrapped in what looks like a fiber glass cloth. The cloth is really dirty and I am sure it is restricting air flow. Is there a way to clean this or what can I replace it with?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Not positive but I would guess that stuff on the spark arrestor screen is packing that has blown through the core and got trapped on the screen.

tml4ever

May 28, 2008
It looks to me like it a sheet that has been cut and wrapped around the screen. I am not sure if this is stock or not.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It sounds to me like you are describing the packing in the silencer.

This needs to be replaced on a regular basis. Buy some new packing from the bike shop. Wrap around the screen, hold it in place with a couple strips of tape (just needs to hold long enough to get it back into the can) and reassemble.

When you get to the bike shop you will find several different brands and types of packing, all claiming to be superior. Pick one, any one. Next year pick a different one and compare. If you like one over the other, stick with it, or try a third the next year.

Rod

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…