Spark Plug Cap Non Resistor Type?

CWDHUNTER

Sep 24, 2005
I need a spark plug cap that is non resistor type that accepts the terminal nut. ngk LZFH is almost it, except it takes the terminal stud.

Where can I find this...it is for a suzuki rm250...1990...thanks.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Lokair said:
The Cap is not the resistor bye the way the cap is just for different connectors , the resistor is built into the plug.
Lok

Many spark plug caps actually do have a resistor built into them. This is normally 5000 ohms. Then the plug has one as well. They are both to suppress radio intereference from being emitted by the bike's ignition system.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
I am mesuring the resistance across a few caps from different spark plugs right now , The NGK and the Champion measure 0 Ohms resistance across them.
Lok

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
So what you're saying, is your caps don't contain a resistor. That doesn't mean all caps do not contain one. Many do, some don't. it's a case by case basis as to whether your cap does or does not have a resistor in it.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Yea I was pointing out that the plugs, B8es, BR8es and so forth are non resistor type caps. If I remember correctly Resistor caps were and old style set up for removing RF. I do alot of auto restoring and have not seen a resistor cap used, or for that matter made in quite a while, they may still make em , but they are not all that commen.
Lok

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Ok I did find that resistor caps are still available, but with most plugs they are not standard. This is info from a race engine builder that I called to ask. He said "never use a resistor plug with a resistor cap". So if you buy a resistor plug it should not come with a resistor cap, and if you buy a non resistor plug it will also not come with a resistor cap , they are special application only type set up. You can buy the caps seperatly.
Lok

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Lokair said:
Ok I did find that resistor caps are still available, but with most plugs they are not standard. This is info from a race engine builder that I called to ask. He said "never use a resistor plug with a resistor cap". So if you buy a resistor plug it should not come with a resistor cap, and if you buy a non resistor plug it will also not come with a resistor cap , they are special application only type set up. You can buy the caps seperatly.
Lok

You get new plug caps thrown in with your spark plugs when you buy them? I've gotta start buying them where you do, I only get the plugs. They make me buy the plug caps separately when I need a new one :nener: .

Seriously though, I think your point was that when an engine is equipped with a resistor cap, it is normally fitted with non-resistor plugs, and if fitted with a non-resistor cap, then resistor caps are used to keep the RFI in check.

The only reason why not to use both, is that it is unnecessary and needlessly decreases the strength of the spark. It won't hurt anything, but might give you a weaker spark, possibly causing some running issues if the ignition doesn't have enough strength left to fire cleanly.

CWDHUNTER

Sep 24, 2005
thanks guys.....

my problem is I have a very hard time getting this bike to start and I discovered the ignition coil had too much resistance, then found I am using a resistence type cap, and shouldn't be.

Problem is, where can I find a non resistive cap for use with my plug?

I think I need a ngk LBER....but am hoping a can find something at auto zone...any ideas where to find one that accepts the terminal nut (not the threaded type)?

Top Bottom