Spark Plug Inspection???

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Okay just did a couple of W.O.T. plug chops and what I am seeing is the ceramic tip is ALL WHITE except the very bottom(inner) 1/4 of the ceramic which has almost a grey color not tan or white. Am I experiencing a lean or rich condition? Like I say though, the rest of the ceramic tip is WHITE as can be. Any help is appreciated as to weaather this is normal or if I need to increase or decrease my main jet.

Obie#8 ;)

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
BR8ES!!! I have a 158 main, 48 pilot, needle 2nd from top, Boyesen 607 reeds, Pro Circuit Platinum, DEP Silencer, Airbox lid removed.

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Brand new plug. Following the Tech Tips procedure! After looking at the plug closely though, it appears to be a dark brown color not grey. BUT the color is clear down on the ceramic. not actually on the tapered part of the ceramic but on the part which actually starts to run parallel just before it goes into the body of the plug. Other than that 1 color ring (about 1/8"), the ceramic looks new.Old plug looked white too,except for bottom 1/4 which was almost black(ran fo about 6 rides).

Obie#8 ;)

Last edited:

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
OKAY, Let's try this again. The ceramic is LIKE NEW (white) with the exception of a DARK brown ring at the very base of the ceramic. What gives? Is this how the plug should look after a WOT plug chop?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by owenlo
OKAY, Let's try this again. The ceramic is LIKE NEW (white) with the exception of a DARK brown ring at the very base of the ceramic. What gives? Is this how the plug should look after a WOT plug chop?

Yes. As you put more time on the plug you'll see a bit more coloring but in the initial runs what you described is the coloring you are looking for.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
THANKS DAVE AND RICH. You have made me feel a little more secure about what I am doing here. It CAN be a little difficult when you are a newbie at jetting and you are playing on the edge of piston meltdown. I didn't mean to keep bothering you 2 but my motor is at stake here and I knew you 2 would have the BEST advice. Again I cant say thanks enough.

Okay here it is FINALLY. A PIC of what I have. :thumb:
http://owenlo3.tripod.com/

Obie#8 ;)

Last edited:

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Thanks Carver!!! I'm look'n for one of those lights too! If I find one I'll buy 10. 1 for me , 1 for you, and 8 for the others!!!

oBIE#8 ;)

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by owenlo
I'm look'n for one of those lights too!

Any automotive speed shop that sells Moroso products (which is every speed shop :) ) can order one for you. It's Moroso part # 62346 Pro-Series Magnifying Flashlight . The same light is sold under the Childs & Albert label, which can also be ordered from any speed shop.

Online sources like Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com) or Jegs should be able to get it for you as well.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
owenlo:

Did you see the $65 part? (I think it said on the pic). OK..I'll take one!!;)

Oh...I was thinking of plug color 'issues'. Yanno...there ARE cases where plug color up on top is quite important. Say..when it's blistered from heat....or when it shows pretty shiny specks of aluminium (sic) on it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…