cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
would it hurt my bike to have the clutch half way in a lot to keep it revving high so i dont have to shift down foul my plugs.its a cr85r exp.

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Yes. If I understand what you are saying you will be slipping the clutch, which will wear the clutch out really fast.

You slip the clutch when you need to, to get yourself going up a steep hill. The clutch will wear but it will provide a reasonable life if you are reasonable about slipping the clutch.

Slipping the clutch to keep the plugs from fouling would be just plain foolish.

What's the problem with shifting down?

Rod

mister laugh

Apr 30, 2007
are you talking about constantly riding around half clutched all the time? If so your clutch wont last long..........at all. It would be like driving around with the brakes on all the time, as far as clutch wear.

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
ok thanks guys.and another question for you guys.um will it blow my engine if i have it the bike revving high alot or is that ok on a 2-stroke because are trail is alot of twisty turns and i have it revving high the whole time cause if i shift up it pretty much starts to bog down.so is it alright to have my bike revving high alot in like second?

Jan 3, 2007
You should know your bike enough to the point where to shift. If it feels like it has no power and your just reving the piss out of it then shift but just because your at a higher RPM dosent mean your bike will blow up.

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
im not revving it that high .but high enough.im about 6 7 eights of the way pinned in 2nd gear.and i think i now my bike pretty well.

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
it is jetted do it again?and i no when to shift up and down i was wondering if it hurt it to be revving high

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
actually im leaking some black stuff around my plug and my exhaust header.is that what it is and if so how do i fix it or should i sell my bike is it really bad?im not losing alot though.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The black stuff is "spooge" and is a sure sighn of a bike that is not jetted properly. The little CR's don' have the greatest seal system where the expansion chamber meets the cylinder so some is pretty typical but avoidable if properly jetted. Properly jetting your bike will fix your power delivery issues as well saving your clutch assy. some wear and tear. Bottom line is a fresh plug, properly jetted carb, good fuel & oil mixture and properly adjusted a lubed cables seem like they will have to riding a bike that feels vastly different. Selling this bike won't fix it when stuff starts to wear or need adjusted on the next one.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Honestly here's my $0.02 on this. It's a VERY real possibility that all you need is to adjust the air screw and maybe needle position unless your bike has some serious mods. If the bike worked fine before and now it doesn't what changed? Air temp? Modifications? Fuel type or mix? Maybe it's time for a top end or at the very least rings.

Top Bottom