kawa06

Nov 16, 2003
I'm a new rider with a 2003 kdx220. I was wondering how often you guys foul spark plugs. I seem to foul at least one every 40mi, and they are covered with black buildup. Is this normal, or is there a problem with my bike. Also, I am sure the fuel mix is right (that's what i guessed the problem was at first, but the bike continues to foul plugs very often).

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
I rode with the "used" plug that was in my '97 220 for over 2 years and was riding at least 2 weekends a month on varied trails/woods. I finally decided to put a new plug this year when I started HS's, but really can't tell a big difference. I'm running stock jets, with the clip adjusted to second from top? (leaner) position, airbox lid is removed with an FMF Gnarly Rev pipe and stock silencer. Oh yeah, I'm running 32:1 with Mobil 1 synthetic 2-stroke oil and have quite a bit of spooge. I'll lean it more if it fouls plugs, but it runs very good so why mess with it?

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
They do indeed come out of the show room very rich. Mine seemed to be worse than most. I ate two plugs per ride. Then I rejetted it per the recommendations on this site (do a search) and haven't fould one since. Bike runs better too. Easy job, no need to procrastinate.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Try a NGK BR8EG plug instaed of the ES. Cured my fouling blues. You may need to rejet but I didn't. Airbox lid removed or drilled, clip 2nd from top is what I run. I now change it about once a year but it really doesn't need it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
kawa06:

Check the thread stuck to the top of this forum...'every kdx rider should read...'

Go to CDave's justkdx page. Read up on how to make your bike run much better (and lose the plug fouling goings on).

Yep. A BR8EG is an excellent choice, not as expensive as the even finer wire plugs (evx and such), but a step up from the ES.

Read and learn, grasshopper. (how many people know where that even comes from.......damn, I'm old, 'eh?)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
OK, now you guys tells me what the difference is between the BR8EG and the ES. Tell me just how one will foul more than the other.

I'm all ears. :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm surprised you don't know the difference (since you asked). One is a fat nickel, one ain't. ;)

What I said: 'A BR8EG is an excellent choice, not as expensive as the even finer wire plugs (evx and such), but a step up from the ES.'

Ok now...let's all look for the word foul.........

First one to find it raise your hand!!!

tic
tock
tic
tock
tic
tock

....anyone found it yet? No? Really??? :think: HHhhmmmmm.......

BUT the fact of the matter is (and completely by-the-way), it is so.

And of course, you know why, too.

A fine wire will fire when a fat wire won't. It is not a substitute for 1/2 way decent jetting. If you are running a plug fouling machine, a change of plug type is going to matter pretty much nada.

..but...you know that, too! ;)

So glad to be of service!

Cheers!

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Canyn I would have agrred with that until a few years ago when I first got my KDX and it was fouling plugs left and right. Before diving into jetting I tried the simple plug change and low and behold no fouling! I first went to a 7ES which didn't foul but I felt was running a tad hot so then switched to the 8EG with no changes whatsoever than just the plug and it cured it immediately. So what does that say.............the plug will make a difference. Did with mine.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Originally posted by canyncarvr
...If you are running a plug fouling machine, a change of plug type is going to matter pretty much nada.

..but...you know that, too! ;) 

I know you knew I knew, and I knew you knowed. :)

If your machine is fouling plugs, don't go looking for a better plug. It IS NOT the root cause of your problem.

(although I've heard that those 4 strap Splitfires are da bomb!)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If you address this sort of problem correctly, changing the plug is moot. Save for maybe changing to a new one that isn't fouled.

All I'm saying is that changing the plug in an attempt to rid yourself of this problem is worthless work. Easy to recommend, and easy to try, but useless.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Like everyone else has said here, you need to rejet. This is the "eat your broccoli and clean you room" portion of the advice. We all know it to be true. However if you are looking for a band-aid solution, try changing your plug to a BR7ES instead of the stock BR8ES. I've run these for years now. If you are a woods rider, the slightly hotter BR7ES plug is a better choice than the OEM recommendation (BR8ES). If your jetting is really off, this plug is going to foul just like the others. However you might get 100 miles instead of 40 before it happens - remember, we're talking "band-aid" here. Kawasaki is conservative in their choice of stock jetting and the same applies to the sparkplug. Notice I said "woods rider". Obviously, if most of your riding consists of long WFO runs up sand dunes, you might want to keep the stock plug.

bcoutdoor

Jul 5, 2004
PLug

I also had the same issue. Pulled the clip up one notch, that helped for power but still fowled. Yesterday went to a BR 8 plug, was a little scared of the burn...seems OK, so far.

Thanks

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
Alot of unknowing people thing plug fouling is normal for 2 strokes but they not suppose to foul. Rejeting is the answer, detailed instructions are at C Dave's site.

ps what is your mix ratio

Top Bottom