Spark timing

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Consider you want to verify spark timing against piston position.

With a point triggered ignition, you set the points to break at <xx>mm BTDC (that figure from your friendly service manual).

What about a mag setup? I have yet to see a BTDC measurement for the piston for spark trigger...and how do you determine the exact postion of the FW for firing anyway?

Point is (in this case) you either don't trust or want to check the stator marks.

Thanks!

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Normally you get a dimension like 1.9mm . That means you rotate the crank BTDC until the piston moves down the bore 1.9mm. This is were the stator/mag fires. Now how do you tell were the mag fires. Depends on the style some have factory marks that show line up. Some you need to center the magnet on the pickup. I heard using a timing light to set a static reference line...

That 1.9mm can be converted to degrees by using math with the stroke and circumference of the rotor/mag.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
That's the crux of the question...where the system fires. Using a timing light to check it is a good idea.....if you have a baseline you've already taken against which to compare (cuz you have a problem now).

re: center the magnet on the pickup

My magnetic theory is weak at best. It's the center that 'fires' the ignition? Not the trailing pole (the split in the magnet you see on the inside of the flywheel)?

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Hi CC! fancy meeting you in here!

Hmmm, when it detects it should fire depends upon the threashold within the CDI box, since there only one input (the mag coil).

My results playing with a timing light some time ago suggested that finding the mag's static timing is more accurate at very high rpm.... :confused:

Since the CDI dosn't add advance, (it doesn't predict when the crank is coming around next) I found the stator is well advanced statically, and the CDI adds significant retard at low rpm, and reduces this retard with higher rpm, netting the appearance of 'advance'.

so, the more repeatable result was to hold the bike reved out, the CDI was all done introducing (relative) retard, and timing was constant over a broader RPM range.

Degreeing the case with a marker as well as identifying the true TDC mark (not the stator index) and using the light helped quantify results, and using a adjustable timing light helped understand what may be going on.

So in summary, I think the CDI gets in the way verifying timing unless the RPM is beyong the CDI's influence upon timing, and once you ID TDC, using an adjustable timing lite you can set the marks to be even and read the timing off the light..

HOWEVER I think i remember having difficulty with that method...
A four-stroke adjustable timing light assumes 720 degrees rotation between sparkies, and so I had to scale the reading form the light 2x ...and there may not have been enough left in the dial on the light to measure true 18 degrees (36 read)

i could be way off base, but perhaps it gets the juices flowing..for more guru input

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm looking for a mechanical method of determining the spark event. Yeah..the CDI is certainly 'in the way' of that. Taking anything it does as 'given' is a mistake for sure.

I need a new tool. My lite has no adjustment to it. In any case, that only gives you relative information, (where it is and what you change it to) not anything concrete.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Mine is not marked. I don't have a question about the workings of my kdx.

Before mine is taken apart I hope I have the sense TO check its oem timing with a light.

The question has to do with a bike that isn't running after re-assy, and timing may be an issue.

But, I've always wondered about a static timing check on mag-equipped bikes using xxmm BTDC as a measurement.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…