Speaking of National Titles and Heisman Trophies

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
After reading the thing about the bad luck of Heisman Trophy winners in National Championship games (6 have played in the game, 5 have lost). ... I started wondering about Jason White . Won the Trophy, the title in 2003 and went back to the title game the next year. Pretty impressive. Owns the QB records at OU, etc., etc. Here's what I found. Amazing. Freaking sad actually.

Jason White (born June 19, 1980) was a quarterback for the University of Oklahoma football team (1999 - 2004).

After suffering from consecutive anterior cruciate ligament tears and reconstructive knee surgeries on both knees during the 2001 and 2002 seasons, White won the Heisman Trophy in 2003 after throwing 40 touchdown passes and 8 interceptions. White was also the recipient of the Associated Press Player of the Year, consensus All-American, consensus Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, the Davey O'Brien Award and the Jim Thorpe Courage Award in his 2003 season. He was awarded a medical hardship by the NCAA and allowed to play a second senior year in 2004. Jason was again a finalist for the Heisman Trophy in 2004, trying to become just the second player after Archie Griffin to win the honor twice, but instead finished third. White led the Sooners to the national championship game in 2003. With the help of the second place Heisman Trophy finisher Adrian Peterson, White again took the OU Sooners to the national championship game, the Orange Bowl, in 2004. White finished his collegiate career as the University of Oklahoma's all-time leader in career passing yards (7,768) and touchdown passes (79).

Despite his strong college career, White was not selected in the 2005 NFL Draft and did not receive a tryout from any NFL team in the first several weeks of post-draft free agency. He did eventually receive a tryout from the Kansas City Chiefs who opted not to sign him. Eventually the Tennessee Titans signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2005, but White retired, citing an injured knee, and will likely never return to the field. White has expressed a possible interest in coaching sometime in the future.

White was raised and played high school football in Tuttle, Oklahoma, where "Home of Jason White 2003 Heisman Trophy Winner" can be seen painted on a water tower on Oklahoma State Highway 37. A section of Cimmaron Road in Tuttle was renamed Jason White Boulevard in his honor. His number when he played high school football with the Tuttle Tigers was 17.

White worked briefly for a securities firm in downtown Oklahoma City before taking a job with Steve Owens, another former Sooner Heisman Trophy winner and former athletic director at the University of Oklahoma who owns an insurance agency.

White is currently an assistant manager at the Hardee's fast food restuarant in Ooltewah, TN and is married and expecting his second child.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Wow, that's unbelievable. Did no one sign him because of his knee injury? You would think this guy would have a cushy job just because of his name. :think: That is sad. :|

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
It is a sad outcome. It really makes you realize how important it can be to get an education while attending a college and playing ball for them. There are no guarantees in life.

I was glad to hear the announcers last night mention the academic achievement of Anthony Gonzalez: 4.0GPA majoring in Philosophy and planning to attend Law School at Stanford after graduation from OSU.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'm sure there are plenty of PHD's flipping burgers in the world; a degree doesn't guarantee success afterall. I guess what strikes me about the story is the contrast; from a huge spotlight on national television, #1 college athlete, records, etc., to Hardee's in less than 5 years? In a society that idolizes athletes it doesn't seem like that could happen. The guy just had some seriously bad luck with his knees... which was a heck of success story in itself, both replaced and then to the national championship twice.

Life can sure throw ya some curve balls.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Okiewan said:
I guess what strikes me about the story is the contrast; from a huge spotlight on national television, #1 college athlete, records, etc., to Hardee's in less than 5 years? In a society that idolizes athletes it doesn't seem like that could happen.

That is what hit me about too. You would think an alumni who reached an executive level somewhere would've hired him for something. Most of athletes have learned so much about working hard, in a team environment towards a goal with tons of pressure applied that it would seem uncommon that he not be able to find something. I don't know how bright he is and you do hear occasionaly of big time atheletes (the '86 Bears had a guy who's now a brick mason) not using that as a springboard to something else. But, yeah, it's odd.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Okiewan said:
Life can sure throw ya some curve balls.

Agreed, I'd also tend to think that he could have translated that Heisman and his success at OU into something. At a minimum stay at OU and continue his education which wouldn't guarantee success but at least increase his chances. Somebody should be giving this kid better guidance or he should start listening to whoever is.

Top Bottom