NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I'm changing the fork oil on my bike and I'm having difficulty getting everything buttoned up - I can't hold the push rod up and install the spring at the same time. Manual says to use Fork Push Rod Puller - 57001-1289 & Fork Spring Holder - 57001-1286. What have you used to improvise instead of buying these tools (or some aftermarket version)?

I suppose I could make my own push rod puller but I'm lazy and like to take the cheap/easy way out......

Brian

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Just use a piece of welding rod with a right angle hook in it to grab the rod just below the spring guide, then slip the spring over the rod and then stuff a 13mm open end wrench between the coils of the spring and over the rod. Then wind the spring so the rod goes full extension and the spring compresses below the cap lock nut. Thread the cap on until it bottoms on the rod and then tighten the nut up to the cap..

Or - extend the rod and then (using suitable dexterity) drop the spring over the rod and, before the rod sinks down completely, stuff a 13mm open end wrench between the coils of the spring and over the rod. Then wind the spring so the rod goes full extension and the spring compresses below the cap lock nut. Thread the cap on until it bottoms on the rod and then tighten the nut up to the cap.

Hope that was clear.........

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Winding the spring never even came close to entering my mind..... Clear enuf - sounds like it will do the trick.

Brian

Top Bottom