Special tools for bottom end rebuild?

'00KX250er

May 2, 2005
I'm going to rebuild the complete bottom end on my '00 kx250. Looking in my Clymer manual I need a case seperating tool and crankshaft jig tool. Just need to know if these are needed to do this job? btw I'm getting a new crankshaft......

thanks

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
You can get by without the crankshaft jig if you are not taking the crankshaft apart. It is possible to split the cases without the seperating tool as well - i've done it both with and without. Some bikes are really tight and would be very tough without the tool, some come apart fairly easily. When you go to put it back together take advantage of heat differences (things get smaller when cold and bigger when hot). Thus, if you are putting the bearings in the cases first, put the bearings in the freezer over night and then leave the cases out in the sun or even put them in the oven for a bit, the bearings will go in much more easily, then when its time to press the cases/bearings onto the crank, freeze the crank and heat up the bearings/cases - this is just an example, I don't know what order your motor should be put back together (the last KX I did a crank on was a 93').

good luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom