Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Well, it's already started. I tuned into Speedvision news which used to recap all of the GP,F1, and all the other "Real" Races and it's suddenly Nascar Today. Ok, so I 'll just watch MotorSports Mundial and see how my favorite European Trials riders are doing and see what the F1 Boys are up to from there, and maybe a cool Semi truck Race. NOPE, More Nascar Coverage. It's a shame. :( Hopefully they just moved stuff around. We'll see.

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
I just don't understand this NASCAR popularity thing. Go staight then turn left then go straight then turn left then go straight then turn left ect ect ect.. I saw the Busch series race here in the Chicago area this year (free tickets). I think NASCAR sucks (sorry NASCAR guys). IMO it's boring. I didn't even sit threw the whole race. Sounds like Speedvision is going down the tubes.

Dirk Diggler

Jun 28, 2001
I could also never understand why Americans loved NASCAR. As KXken says. They go straight, turn left, go straight. I have seen pictures of races and there is thousands of people there. Unbelievable.
You want to see good racing, watch an Australian V8 Supercar race. 1sec splits 15 drivers in qualifying, 8 winners in 10 races. That is close and exiciting racing.
I like CART, but only when they go around winding tracks.

YZr1der

Aug 17, 2001
Originally posted by KXKen
I think NASCAR sucks (sorry NASCAR guys). IMO it's boring. I didn't even sit threw the whole race. Sounds like Speedvision is going down the tubes.

the only time NASCAR is good is when there is a huge wreck...(except when someone dies, like Dale Earndhart)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i happen to enjoy nascar. it's my favorite kind of racing outside of mx. have you ever noticed that nascar people aren't always bashing your kind of racing? if you're upset, you should be bashing speedvision, not nascar.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by mx547
have you ever noticed that nascar people aren't always bashing your kind of racing?
Because there is only enough time in the day to bash Chevy or Ford.:p I like Nascar too but I would rather watch it on tv than from the grandstands, its just too damn crowded, I always feel like a sardine. Nascar is like any other sport, the more you know the more you will enjoy it and the more people who follow it the more it will be on tv!

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
I am a motorsports fan and enjoy most all forms of it, some more than others. It would be a real shame to see Speedvision let Nascar dominate their coverage. The one thing that has put SV at the top of the heap IMO is the diversity in their programming. If you want to see Nascar coverage you can get it anywhere. What about the people that want coverage of F-1, speedway, flat track, superbike, ArenaX and on and on. I added SV to the programming on my dish so that I could get the coverage that nobody else has and if they go to a format dominated by nascar I will probably remove it. It really sucks that two-wheeled enthusiasts are treated like second class citizens by all the networks and after several e-mails to the powers at SV, removing their station from my programming will be my final protest to them. :(

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
OH BOY! NASCAB!

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
I could also never understand why Americans loved NASCAR. As KXken says. They go straight, turn left, go straight. I have seen pictures of races and there is thousands of people there. Unbelievable.
You want to see good racing, watch an Australian V8 Supercar race. 1sec splits 15 drivers in qualifying, 8 winners in 10 races. That is close and exiciting racing.
I like CART, but only when they go around winding tracks.
I've watched numerous Aussie events over the last couple of years on Speedvision. Good stuff. Looks like that will change...
When it debuted 3 years ago, I was on Speedvision like a cheap suit. They have provided excellent coverage of all types of "fringe" motorsports, and I'm glad it lasted THIS long.

Like Murphy says "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I'm not bashing NASCAR. I too like watching all sorts of racing. Hell, I enjoy watching the Lawnmowers race. But with more NASCAR coverage, Something's got to go and it'll probably be the cool European races and other "Niche" sports. I'm still hoping...

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I work on a Late model stock car here in Charlotte and even though I like to work on the car and like to watch a race that I am participating in by helping in the pits, I don't watch NASCAR on TV. I will watch a NASCAR race when they are on a road course but only a road course. Loop-de-loop racing of any type is a waste of time IMO. The steering wheel does turn right. Thats why I watch F1.

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Last weekend they had that race from El Kart WI (not sure of the spelling) with the Indy cars. This I thought was cool. Going up hills, turning in both directions, tight corners and all that kind of stuff. My NASCAR friends don't like this stuff. Why? I don't get it. To me it seems like it's some kind of a club or something.

MikeT, I bet working on them is a whole lot better than watching them.

Oh well I guess everybody has their thing and I don't mean to knock something that other people like and I don't. It would be nice to hear somebody say what it is they really like about it. Maybe I'd be less likely to bash it if I understood it better.

Dirk Diggler

Jun 28, 2001
I don't really understand it, but what I really like is:

Thumping big V8's putting out mega horsepower and the drivers holding them flat.
It is better than watching bloody swimming, or golf, or tennis, or CRICKET! I would knock those sports before I knock a motor sport;)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
KXKen, that's Elkhart Lake you're talking about. The track is Road America, and it is arguably the best track in the country. I've been lucky enough to have attended a couple of races there.

The series you're talking about is the Champ Car series, and it's spawned/hosted some of the best drivers in the world. Nigel Mansell, Emerson Fittipaldi, Juan Montoya, Jacques Villenueve, Andretti, etc. have won championships in the series.

If the series doesn't fold, Fox and Speedvision will share coverage next year.(If they can squeeze it in.):(

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Go staight then turn left then go straight then turn left then go straight then turn left ect ect ect..

listen to what you're saying. this is the exact same attitude as the people who say "what's so great about motorcycle racing? all you do is sit and twist the throttle."

Dash Riprock

Jul 13, 2000
Again with the Speedvision?

Didn't we already go through this once before??? NASCAR sucks, it isn't real racing, F1 rules blah, blah, BLAH! We get it, switch the channel already.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
End the madness

Ok, Judge RIP is here and hes gonna rule.
Formula 1, rally racing, sportbike racing, Motocross, Supercross, and similar motorsports are fun to watch. They do not require an understanding of super-technical issues (Like yeah, Fords are better then Chevy's) to be enjoyed. However, Nascar is on an oval which means the drivers only turn left. I understand that the cars are very difficult to turn and it takes guts to come within inches of a concrete wall every 15 seconds for 2 hours straight. The problem with NASCAR as well as all oval racing, is that its not visually entertaining. Theres no scenery, no varying course, no dynamic sections of track. Even my mom can watch highlights of rally racing with me because of the scenery and landscape. NASCAR does not fly in my house, because its repetitive and boring. Racing should be about advancement in automobile/motorcycle development. With all of NASCAR's strict rules and restrictor plates, there is not much improvement in the cars and no reason to make your car the best it can be.
Formula one is... "3 liters or less, no supers or turbos, yeah 20,000rpms... sure, magnesium cylinders... its up to you"
NASCAR is.... " Umm well G we needa putta stopper on that there engine cuz you gonna go faster then po' man Billy bob over there"

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001

MikeT, I bet working on them is a whole lot better than watching them.

Without a doubt. When I go to races that the car I worked on is in and I'm turning the wrenches, that's cool. Other than directly participating in the race I don't even turn NASCAR on. It just totally bores me.

As far as Speedvision, if they turn into an all NASCAR loop-de-loop network I certainly won't ever watch them again.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
Re: End the madness

Originally posted by FMX_novice
NASCAR is.... " Umm well G we needa putta stopper on that there engine cuz you gonna go faster then po' man Billy bob over there"
Last time I checked it was "we better put in a restrictor plate or else the cars will go so fast they will flip into the air like hydrofoils and do cartwheels down the backstretch of the superspeedways!":eek:

I started following Nascar after a bunch of my friends took me to a race where we watched, from the infield, the Daytona 500. Now imagine seeing only 1/4 mile or so of the entire track and trying to follow the stories without a radio. But it was one hell of a road-trip that involved lots of drinking (but not driving) and gambling with my friends. From there, I learned more about the drivers and the sport in general and began to enjoy it more and more.

Another thing that I find interesting about the sport is the fact that you have many different (all lefts of course) tracks from some that require nothing but horses (2 miles +) to some that are all brakes and handling (.5 miles). Oh yeah, what do you call those funny tracks where you turn left and right?!? Road Courses!

Now for the part that I don't like, the majority of the drivers speak as though they never graduated from first grade and they all grew up in the same forest where they filmed deliverance. The sponsors don't care because Nascar is growing faster than almost any sport in the world and now speedvision is apparently snubbing all other motorsports due to this fact. And because Comcast sucks worse than TimeWarner cable; I just got speedvision and now it is going to Total Nascar. I don't even like nascar enough to watch more than just the Sunday races.

FWIW, I don't think Nascar is better than any other motorsport, I just happen to know more about it. Since this was so long, I guess this is just my $0.05.

cr514

Aug 22, 2001
Its a shame that speedvision now has to broadcast nascar, I am a fan of Nascar and I really enjoy getting together with friends and going to the races, but enough is enough just how many channels of nascar do we really need ? I watch at least one nascar program a week and what I really need is a channel that would broadcast some mx and by the way nascar drivers do turn right to leave their pit stall

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Restrictor Plates are only to make the races closer, spoilers provide downforce and the faster the cars go the more they stick to the road. If the governing body of NASCAR wanted to have uninhibited racing with wars going on off the track as in engines, tires, chassis and suspension, then the NASCAR people need to have a lot less rules. Stupid people wont enjoy it because it isnt as close, a close race in F1 is far more exciting to me because i know that this is 2 teams going full out to try to win and they are both doing everything possible to get around the course in the least amount of time possible.

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
I don't really understand it, but what I really like is:

Thumping big V8's putting out mega horsepower and the drivers holding them flat.
It is better than watching bloody swimming, or golf, or tennis, or CRICKET! I would knock those sports before I knock a motor sport;)

If you like this than check out some NHRA Top Fuel drag racing. When you go to these events you can walk around in the pits and watch some guys wrenching on a running 6000 horsepower engine. Talk about thumping? You have to hold your ears around these babys.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000

If you like this than check out some NHRA Top Fuel drag racing.

i'm surprised anyone likes NHRA. remember, all they do is go straight and push the gas.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by FMX_novice
Stupid people wont enjoy it because it isnt as close, a close race in F1 is far more exciting to me because i know that this is 2 teams going full out to try to win and they are both doing everything possible to get around the course in the least amount of time possible.

Last time I checked Nascar drivers/teams had the same goal. Just because the only turn left doesn't mean they don't try hard. I don't understand your logic.

I can't even comprehend your comment on stupid people, I obviously fall into that category!

Top Bottom