Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Well since I am the first one home
frown.gif
  I will start the thread.  

First the weather:  Freakin' flash floods Tuesday night!  AJ tells me at 10:00 they havn't had any rain yet.  Flash flood warnings at my house!
Well he was right, so was Wardy.  It was slow to show up to the south but it hit.  One my way there in the morning fields are flooded and creeks are out of there banks. Im thinkin to myself 'this isn;t good!'.

But I show up at the AGREEDED upon time of 9:30.  Track is standing water a creek is running OVER the graved road to get to the trails.  Nadine (the owner) says AJ called at 6am and said the MIGHT still come!  Great!  I walked the area, checked out the camping potential, the MX track, the grass track.  With that being done I sit around until 11:30 and figure I might as well check out the trails.  BUT I gotta get across the water coming over the road, I figure its gravel so it has a hard bottom as long as it doesnt gettoo deep I am in good shape.   So I unload the bike, get dressed and head out.  Well my total bike time was less than 5 minutes.  Before I even got to where the water  was running fast it was to the airbox, filled both boots.  So I turned around and loaded it back up and headed for home!  bummer 4 hours of driving for that!!

On the way home I am running north on I57 and I see this black dakota and a black trailer..OKIE! There was an exit ahead so I turn around and catch up (the Z71 has never seen those speeds!)  We stop and chat, meet Jer but I got plans tonight so I gotta get home.  (AJs sitting on the side of the highway wonderingwhats going on)  (hopefully it dried enough to get a tractor on the track and let you guys run some laps!)

My observations:  Nice place, there is an open pit area and wooded pits for shaded camping.  Enough room if the event doesn't get TOO big.  
Even though I didn't get to actually ride the woods, talking with Nadine and the fact that I have rode Illinois woods forever it will be ok.  200 acres.  She said they put together a 7mi loop for HS.  Its typical woods.  Although it is hilly, hopefully we will have dry weather, she said they can get tricky if its muddy.

There is a grass field by the grass track where we can have games.  the grass track looks fun for vintage or minibikes (wanna challenge my XR100 Rich?).  No jumps so it will be nice for non mx'ers to play on.

The one think I liked about Ottawa was its diverse trails, sand, loam, rocks etc.  But what I didn't like was it was so large that you could never find anyone!  I rode for over an hour by myself at the BORK run and didn't find A bike!  Which I didn't like when it was an organized event.
Casey is small enough to hook up with people but large enough to not be crowded.  Okie figures most people will stay a day and a half, there is plenty there to not get bored, especially if we have some kind of schedule of organized events going on.

It gets my vote!

PS Its closer for Patman and Tuner so distance can't be an excuse.
smile.gif

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Damn Federal Express.....I overnighted you guys an ark, guess it didnt get there.
smile7.gif

Sorry to he about the slop, but atleast you guys got to check the joint out.  I guess we just sit back and wait to see what the big bossman's impression was. I hope this is a spot he likes. its 4 hours closer for me than the previous one.

P.S. it was sunny and 80ish here in Virginy today....man I had a blast..    
  rode all day
smile3.gif
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; bummer is that most of the time was on a cub cadet tractor....only about 30 minutes on the booger bike.<p align=right>06-21-2000 :Edited

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You guys are too good to me. What are ya' knocking off about 3 hours? Heck I can be at Thumps' in a little over 3 and that's 220 miles. Don't sweat the distance EVERYTHING is a long ways apart down here, so if I can make it milage is not a factor. Heck I'm doing 3,500 starting next week for a freakin' "vacation".

Just keep turnin' them screws guys
wink.gif

------------------
Air is for planes
KTM 360EXC

<p align=right>06-21-2000 :Edited

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Count me in Jay. By the time the DRNFest rolls around the SuperTTR should be a "bit" less stock than it is now. I'll have my Ken Maely steel shoe by then too   hehehehehe&nbsp;&nbsp;Okie and I will be practicing in OT's grass field to tune up.<p align=right>06-21-2000 :Edited

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Glad you liked it OKIE.....AJ said ya would once ya got to see it.

I dont like muddin' unless im in a 4x4 so make sure you guys go out there early with lots of sponges and dry the place up before we all get up there ok?
Just say the magic words and I will get a check out to ya...I would send cash but people around here seem to have a problem with the color green
smile4.gif

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Okie, glad your observations were similar to mine.  Bummer on the flat but at least you guys got to twist the throttle!!  

I thought the owners were really nice too.  Thats a big plus and havin the place to ourselves is a HUGE plus.  Looking forward to it!!

Hey Rich, maybe I shoulda my mouth shut!  I'm talkin' a box stock 1981 XR100 here!  The STOCK TTR will eat me.  Hmm guess I gotta go harder in the corners!  

Okie..Question&nbsp;&nbsp;You mentioned the HS loop will be marked.&nbsp;&nbsp;Will Gene do this for us?&nbsp;&nbsp;<p align=right>06-22-2000 :Edited

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Jay,
Sorry on our tardiness.
Basically we figured the longer we took to get there the dryer it would be?
It was pretty muddy when we first went out( deep some places just snot on hardpack in others) but actually was getting better as we rode..noone else really there.If the normal 20 to 40 guys had been riding on a wednesday it would have been perfect,actually.
Ended up being a fun day.

We saw that the creek was out and blocking access to most of the trail system,what a bummer.

Jean has a HS 2 weeks before the spodefest event and said he would leave up the markers and remark what was needed if thats what we want?
He doesnt have another HS until a month or so after that.

He has done field meets and stuff like this recently even,
so has quite a few ideas on games and stuff..most likely he could /would really help out on that end of things.

Got to put a good bit of time on Okies Black Mamba on the GP course
( it was dry)
The bike is awesome.( and he wants a report)
Overall a really fun bike,like a 250 with some actual power.lol
1.Greeeeeat motor...a decent low end and barks reeeal good thru the mid range.&nbsp;&nbsp;It will eat a 426 for lunch( you reading this thump?)..although the AF pulls it pretty easy on the straights/hills.( like thats a surprise at minumum of 12 hp more lol)
2.Handles VERY good for a green bike...I think Jers suspension work saves it in that department.The scotts damper at the "okie" setting had a weird feel...did not do anything offensive but just felt funky.It did help on the high speed rough stuff for sure.I think on a tighter or SX oriented tech track I would have to turn it "off"..but thats just me.. Jer liked it.
3.Suspension is very very good.If the spring rates had been "right" for a 135 pound flea it would have been just awesome.As it was it was still great and I could race it no problem..just as light as I am it hammered me a lil in the&nbsp;&nbsp;braking /acceleration bumps.The faster you go the better it gets though.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Thump you will really really enjoy your "stuff" when you get it back!!
4. Man,&nbsp;&nbsp;am I spoiled.
Sorry,KX brakes stink.
The biggest drawback on the bike is the front brake.It really held you back on overall corner speed.
I was thinking the rear was just un-usable and in fact rode the whole time without really using it.
Turns out the rear brake pedal "pin" had decided to go into a black hole.
So no wonder there was no rear brake
wink.gif

My guess is the front is easily fixed with a braided line,
the rear with a new pin.
Neither Jer or myself noticed it was missing&nbsp;&nbsp;untill we stopped..then okie caught it...so much for the "mechanics" we just thought okie liked his rear brake set real low.lol
5.The various trick goodies on the bike are pretty cool ,but hard for me to give any idea on,
as I run a lot of the same stuff and already like it.
( Tag bars etc)
6.OK...you remember that I promised Okie to "crash test" it months ago?
I tossed it good..It crashes very well and in a high speed down hill corner it sort of looks sureal flying thru the air...
all black and green and DRN stickered and all.....
Read # 4 again.
If you want details ask Jer as he may have got a look at the deal..not sure.
Sorry Okie.
Thanks for letting me ride it though.That will teach you!
wink.gif

And what kind of real evaluation could I give it without throwing it away at some point?
redface.gif

------------------
Service Honda
Crash Test Dummy
Third Class

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Had a great time... Condtions where less than perfect but that never keeps you from having a good time! I'm very glad the spot has been settled... K-Z as they say will be great in sept. Thanks for use of the bikes! I must say that KX of Okie's is pheonominal..&nbsp;&nbsp;With eception of the brakes... (As mentioned) But anyone who has had a KX knows how that is! I realy like AJ's bike too... Fun to ride.. It was actually very mellow..And it was even having a few very rare carb issues.. AJ suspects Plugged with mud vent tube... or internal passage.. Still easy to ride.. (contrary to popular opinion.)

Well I knew I had not been on a bike for a long time this morning..&nbsp;&nbsp;Yeahoow... IT took like 6 snooze slaps to get my soory carcus out of bed! Thanks for the fix!
Jer..

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
All I know is I'm comming up aound my favorite section of track a step drop into a tight uphill sweeper.  There is allso a stream running thru this section at this time... Well I came around to see AJ picking himself and the bike out of the mess!!  It was quite funny!  
smile.gif
  I was very furtunate that no one saw me go down that I'm aware off so I don't think anyone can report the hummors discrptions of my folly.. ALthough I promise it happened more than twice.. . And the track was perfect for sucking you in when you were not exspecting it!  AJ almost go to center punch me in what would have been a spectacular crash.. Had I not saved it.. By shear luck
smile.gif
smile.gif
  The stock KX of Pokkies bike was not real frendly through the braking bumps and just about finshed me off when I hit one of the greasier corners on the track..

O what fun!
<p align=right>06-22-2000 :Edited

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Cool. This sounds like an AWESOME place. A big flat grass field is all it takes to keep me happy:
smile3.gif

Jay - Don't worry, I probably outweigh you by 50-60 pounds, so the horsepower will balance. AS for the corners, I guess we'll just have to see what we're made of&nbsp;&nbsp;hehehehe Hopefully by then Okie, Pokie, and OT will have bought TTRs so we can have a full on race. Langtown East&nbsp;&nbsp;YEEHAA

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Maybe I can get the 72 Wombat finished in time
smile2.gif

I can't wait.&nbsp;&nbsp;Sounds like my kinda place.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
If I get my butt in gear, I might have the SC500 ready...yes I actually own a Yamaha! yikes  I painted the frame and swingarm last week.  Progress considering it has sat for over a year!

The grass track would be fun on a vintage big bore!

Leaving the arrows up will be a huge help!!  I thought about that a week or so ago and have a one way trail will make things safe and fun.  plus it will test the speed of certain mods in case there are any grudge matchs
smile12.gif

Okie, looks like dear ol' dad needs to send his KX to Jer!

Eastern Langtown!!&nbsp;&nbsp;I like it!!&nbsp;&nbsp;We don't do much MXing on our 100s (way to hard on them) but the grass track will be perfect.&nbsp;&nbsp;I didn't see and jumps or whoops.&nbsp;&nbsp;(AJ did you?)&nbsp;&nbsp;

Woohoo this gets me as wound up as the big bikes!&nbsp;&nbsp; Rich I'll have to invite you down to one of our ices races this winter if ya want to screw your tires. Its a ball!<p align=right>06-22-2000 :Edited

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
S W E E E T T T T

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Hard to believe thats the same day!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;Was no sun when I was there, If I'd known you had your camera (dumb question) I would of had you take a pic of that river I tried to cross!

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
More thoughts...

Since people are suggesting activities, and we come up with a list of things, what about a signup sheet before hand so we can have an idea if people really want to particpate in planned things or just do their own thing.&nbsp;&nbsp;Personally I think a team HS would be alot of work.&nbsp;&nbsp;The games should be quick and easy to run.&nbsp;&nbsp;Heck we don't want to work the entire time!

What about making up some TeamDRN shirts or Jerseys for the mods, so people know who to ask questions too.&nbsp;&nbsp;Pick us out of the crowd so to speak.

I am sure I will have more ramblings as time goes on....

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Okie ,
Nice pics!
Rich, that is just about 1/8th&nbsp;&nbsp;or less of the total GP track..those straights run all the way with some sweepers onto another similar hill side and switch back on top of it awhile before looping back..most of it is 3rd or 4 th gear a few 2cd gear corners( well maybe not hehe)
The corner pics of me and Jer in the grass was one FUN corner....I think the down hill straight leading into it was at least 200 yards..lol

Jer that awesome swap O rama you did down the hill on pokies bike was classic..and the final save was most incredible..I would have been dieing laughin' if it wasnt so close to the centerpunch deal..but still pretty funny..

I'll come clean:
I think I went down 3 times or so...and run totally off the regular track once into the weeds n mud.
a great time!
smile.gif

If you had seen the "Mamba Toss" you would have died laughing,although okie prolly would have killed me.
Since you know that section well now...
picture blasting up that hill...grabbing a handfull of front brakes at the top and pitching it in for that sweeping downhill /uphill and creek..
TOTALLY forgetting that you really dont have the front brakes you are used too and NO rear brake..LOL
I spoded out of course... panic-ed as I was headed towards those trees,and grabbed a bigger handfull already pitched over....
perfect highside on top of the hill with the "mamba" have a nice flight and soft MUD landing in the lil creek( I'm not telling how far away that is Okie would KILL me)
I got a nice view of it as I was sliding on my ass down the hill ...the creek stopped me..lol thats when you came around to see the carnage I guess? and me sitting in the water?
ahh those Kodak Moments...
If I only had a camera when you had those channel lock pliers in your hands..
I could probably retire on the blackmail money..
dang those wasted opportunities.
wink.gif

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
The tales and stories of just 4 DRNers....just wait till after the spodefest, Okie's gonna have to ad another forum just for the stories and memories.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Tuner:&nbsp;&nbsp;I agree with you on the course.&nbsp;&nbsp;Typically that time of year is pretty dry here so hopefully it won't get to beat up.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was happy it was gonna be marked for us mainly for the sake of not really knowing the place and the time it would take us to mark it.&nbsp;&nbsp; I figure there are plenty of unmarked trails so no one HAS to ride the marked one but it will be good for the team HS and nightime poker run.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Okie I guess we will do these two so put it in the itenerary)

Woodsrider has volunteered to help.&nbsp;&nbsp;For those of you don't know Bill has been a member of 2 clubs and currently is a member of Hill and Gully Riders.&nbsp;&nbsp;They host a couple of good races in our area.&nbsp;&nbsp;He has also has helped run a team HS and still has scoring sheets.&nbsp;&nbsp;Big help for me!

Anyone know where I can get a few pair of XXL boxers??&nbsp;&nbsp;
smile.gif
&nbsp;&nbsp;Thats gonna be cool!&nbsp;&nbsp;

Okie I gotta extra pair of Renthals cut with bark busters!!!! Should I bring em for the Mamba??

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
It's got a GP course and woods.&nbsp;&nbsp;How about an MX track?

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Sorry Twinspar, I guess we made the assumption that everyone knew that.

AJ and Jer have raced there for years.&nbsp;&nbsp;Those guys can give you a track report.&nbsp;&nbsp;Casey holds a 4 Stroke national there in the fall.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
TS-
Sorry..I'm soo used to people already knowing about the MX track.
( anyone in the mid west that races much has probably been there at one time or another)
They have a very good regular MX track,and hold around 30 mx events per year.I think they have had a AMA Fall Classic /4 Stroke National race there for 6 or 7 years? However long that series has been going?

Its mostly a natural terrain track..laid out partly in the woods and hills.
It doesnt have any real techincal SX sections,but a few good sized tabletops and such..a few very small doubles....one step up "tunnel jump"..
4 whoop sections..it is a fairly long track.
It is one of the favorites in the Mid west area.
Very Loamy when groomed.
VERY peanut butter MUD when too wet.( wednesday)LOL
I dont think anyone that has ever raced there was disappointed with it.
It is probably my favorite track in D17 but a loong drive for me...same with Wardy.
It has earned the AMA's "#1 amateur track in the nation" honors several different years.90? 93? 95? 97? something like that...

It was established I believe in 1972 or 74 ..Jean Ramsey, the owner,has been at the game a long time.
Great guy.

Breeeez

Jun 16, 2000
My son and I have raced MX at Casey for years.&nbsp;&nbsp;AJ's synopsis is very good.&nbsp;&nbsp;If I may, I can add a few other things here.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is a down-hill natural terrain triple that can be safely doubled, but if you have the..., well, the certain anatomical parts to do it, you can see your house from the height you get.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is a major fun step-up, step-down tabletop that, again with those parts, you can clear the entire thing tapped out in 4th on a 125 (probably 2nd on AJ's AF
smile.gif
).&nbsp;&nbsp;The whoops by the finish line are out-door national style, more like rockers that you can triple some, double some and they spit you out into a very tight 180 at the finish line.&nbsp;&nbsp;Start is 100 yards and turn to the left to another 100 yard straight with one little kicker in the middle.&nbsp;&nbsp;The next right hand 90 is the turn all the C classes pile up on (Personal Experience here).&nbsp;&nbsp;In the woods section there is a Major almost straight uphill that you have to maintain speed on the turn at the bottem to get up...good air at the top.&nbsp;&nbsp;Anyways, riders I've seen and talked to at Casey are: Mike Brown, Kelly Smith, Robbie Skaggs, Guy Cooper (have pic with him), Jimmy Neese, Jason Thomas, up and comers like Ben Riddle and SX helmet cam and ExcitBike rider, Brian Mason.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Thanks Breez!
Hey where were you wednesday ? avoiding the mud entirely or did you go to Bonpas?
Very few ( read.. noone) at Casey as Jean had told everyone the rain had done in the track.I did see Nick Thomas and Brain Stapleton as I was about to leave.
Umm I dont do the "sorta -triple" sorry..lol..jump to just before the round off..I'm missing something to go for the whole thing.
As far as the tabletop it is VERY cool..one of my favorite jumps..
but even on the 500 you are in 3rd or sometimes 4th to clear the whole deal.
You planning on attending the spodefest? close enough for you huh?

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Hey Rich,
About that '72 WAMBAT. I think I still have the original CHROME gas tank from my '73 COMBAT WAMBAT 125 ( it was my first bike ). If you want it I'll go by my mothers house and see if it is still in the basement where I left it. I think it still has the original PABATCO emblems on it!
Well let me know, if it is still there it is yours for the asking, I don't really need it for anything other than sentimental reasons ( Dad was in the dog house for quite awhile when he bought it for me! ). I'd rather see it put to use.

wrench
94 YZ 250

Top Bottom