HillTopper

Aug 22, 2001
i have a 98 xr400 and was doing a routine spoke check when i discovered one of the spokes seemed bent away from the other spoke. there was quite a gap where it criss-crosses over(where it meets at an "x"). so i went to tighten it and the entire spoke just turned. i tried loosening it and tightening it and the whold thing jsut turned. also, it seems there is a lot more play at the spoke nut where it meets the rim, than usual. i cant pull it in and out, just side to side. for now, i just zip tied the "x" where the two spokes meet. what should i do?

my other question deals with a clicking noise everytime i lift the rear wheel off the ground, and push back down on the rear of the bike it makes this really loud clicking noise that seems to come when it gets to a certain point on the compression. it doesnt matter if i apply pressure slowly or just jump on the seat, its still there. once it clicks, it wont do it again until the rear wheel is off the ground again. i'm noticing this on only my 2nd ride this season, it may have been there before, i dont know, i just happend to lift the wheel off the ground and sit on it. also, i tear the linkage apart and grease it every winter. what do you think?

thanks in advance.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Spoke/nipple corrosion is very standard as far as I know.
I find the idea of of spoke torque wrench to be useless unless you are willing to disassemble your wheel and lubricte this sensitive juncture.
Your linkage clicking might be solved by a thorough disassembly and inspection of all the brgs and pivot points of your arse end.
Wheel brgs, pivot brgs, swingarm brgs, shock heim joints, and infenitum.
You'll find it!

Top Bottom