MonsterJay

Apr 22, 2007
I did a search and couldnt find what i was looking for. My bike has 3 broken spokes on the rear tire. Is it still rideable this way? Can just those 3 spokes be replaced? Can most dealers do this?

Thanks for your help guys. This bike thing is a little overwhelming but im slowly learning from this site.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I wouldn't ride much with three broken spokes. Three will lead to four, which will lead to five and pretty soon you need a complete new wheel. A dealer can do it. It can be done at home, but it is such a PITA, that I paid a local cycle parts dealer $25 to do it for me (I supplied the spokes off of an extra parts wheel I have). Call a dealer and ask what they would charge and call a local aftermarket cycle parts store that sells tires and ask what they would charge. Either way, you'll save $$ if you take the wheel off the bike and take it to them.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
your gunna warp the rim even if you have one spoke gone, there will be more tension on one side than the other. Even if you let the bike set potential 'warpage' could occur.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
84cr125 said:
your gunna warp the rim even if you have one spoke gone, there will be more tension on one side than the other. Even if you let the bike set potential 'warpage' could occur.
Your no going to warp the rim with ONLY ONE SPOKE missing. If there is more than one missing than you have a chance... :cool:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Spokes cost about $3-4 a piece through a dealer, if you can get them individually. Installing them is as simple as removing the tire and rim tape and running them down to about the same tightness as the other spokes. Don't overtighten them or it will pull the rim out of true.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I find it quite relaxing. I sit down in the sun or the shade, depending on the temperature, crack open a cold beer, and go to work. By the time I finish the beer, I have the tire off. To reinstall I simply crack open another beer.

MonsterJay

Apr 22, 2007
I dont expect to have much trouble removing the tire. Had my g/f call the dealer to get a price and its $133cdn to have all new spokes installed. I wouldve called but im at work and the sat phone is 2 bucks a minute when it works. Ill be taking it to them when i get home. Better safe than sorry.

No rush for it anyways since we still have close to 4ft of snow in most places. Still gonna take her for a test on the roads though.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
you can do spokes yourself man, there real easy. All you need is a spoke wrench, its like $10 not even, coupple minuited to spare and a good ear. When your adjuting the spokes hit them with a screwdriver and you can tell how much tesion they are under and if you get them all to ring with the same pitch then you roughly know that they are all under the same tension. Installing 3 or however many it was will only take you like 30MIN and hour max.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
84cr125 said:
you can do spokes yourself man, there real easy. All you need is a spoke wrench, its like $10 not even, coupple minuited to spare and a good ear.

Sure. But it's the removal of the tire and installation of the new nipples and spokes and replace the tube and tire.... on top of the 30 minutes that is worth the $25 for me.

Top Bottom