89RM

Jun 22, 2008
I've got a '89 RM250 just about after every ride some of the spokes on the rear wheel loosen up, so I just snug them back up. As far as I know the wheel has never been respoked. Should I loosen up each spoke a couple threads and put some lock tite on them?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
On a bike that old, they should be seated by now. When we get new bikes we snug down spokes for the first few rides and then they quit moving. I wonder if your rim has wallowed-out holes...?

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
I have had spokes on older bikes that are corroded and the threads are questionable. They never broke but would never hold tension until replaced.

89RM

Jun 22, 2008
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
On a bike that old, they should be seated by now. When we get new bikes we snug down spokes for the first few rides and then they quit moving. I wonder if your rim has wallowed-out holes...?

The holes might be egged out, but from what I can tell the rim and hub is in good shape.

I've been looking on ebay and craigslist for a new(er) set of wheels. Do you know if any set of wheels would work or if I need to stick to wheels from my generation?

08 GSXR1000

Jan 29, 2009
i have had customers with older RM's that had the same problem,i figured out that most of the time the spokes themselves became weak over the years and would stretch causing them to loosen up,you might need to have the wheel relaced with new spokes.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
I wonder if your rim has wallowed-out holes...?
Please use the correct terminology..... it is "Wallered-out". :laugh:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Dang tootin'

Top Bottom