Spokes...make/model specific???

Loopie

Jul 18, 2003
I have a '97ish Yamaha RT180 rear wheel here with 4 busted spokes. So I figured I'd get it taken care of while the tire is off.
The guy at the service dept looked at me like I was speaking Greek when I asked for spokes for this wheel.
Is wheel building such a rarity in a MC service dept?
So they've quoted me an hr labour and placed an order from Yamaha for a spoke kit...I'm fine with this, except it's been 2wks and all they can tell me is "back ordered".

Do I have some options here?
Is there not some sort of industry standard with spokes? With bicycles...you just select the length you need.

Thx

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Loopie said:
Do I have some options here?
Is there not some sort of industry standard with spokes? With bicycles...you just select the length you need.
Thx

Loopie.

There is no industry standard with motorcycle spokes. Some bikes have 4 different spokes, (different length, nipple angles,) per wheel. This is one of the things that make them harder to lace than a bicycle wheel. One hour labor is not a bad quote although a good wheel person should be able to relace your wheel in 30 to 45 minutes.

You could try buchannans spoke and wheel .com. They manufacture spokes and can make any kind of spoke you want. You may want to try them next time since your dealer already ordered your spokes.

After you get you wheel back, recheck the spokes for tightness the first few times you ride the bike. They will loosen a little. Do a search on how to tighten and true your spokes. A lot of information has been given on this subject.

Ol'89r

Top Bottom