Foxpilot

Jul 24, 2002
I went trail riding yesterday and noticed my front tire was warped. It was wobbling back and forth a bit. I continued riding all day. I do have a flat spot in the rim, and was wondering if this would cause it. I thought I was tightening my spokes right, but maybe not..will someone tell me the right way, and which way to turn when the spokes are on top and bottom.

Also, if I bring the wheel into a shop, how muchw ill they charge to true it and get the flat spot out?

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Foxpilot,

To tighten the spoke, find a fixed starting point like a rim lock or valve stem. Tighter every third spoke no more than a quarter turn or so. After three times aroung your starting point, you have tightened them all.

Now as far as which way to tighten the spokes, think of it this way. It is ALWAYS CLOCKWISE when you are looking down from the top of the spoke (inside the rim), imagine the tire off the rim and you are looking from inside the rim.

If the spoke is on top, it will LOOK like you have to turn it counter-clockwise but think FROM INSIDE the tire, it's CLOCKWISE.

As far as how much it would cost, Most shops (in my opinion) don't know what they are doing when it comes to truing. There are some specialty shops that only do wheels and wheel building. They charge around $25.00 to True the wheel.

http://www.tcrwheellacing.com/index.html

I have never used these people because I build my own wheels and I'm on the East Coast.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Eggnchips

Jul 15, 2002
I know this is a bit of a stupid question ( how long is a piece of string and all that) but how tight should the spokes be.

My wheel is pretty true but I think the spokes are a bit loose.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
That is a tough question to answer. 48 in. lbs on a spoke torque wrench.

I Know... Who the heck has one?!

You can do it by feel and "sound"... Neither are really a great way of doing it however what is someone to do.

Remember, DON'T turn any one spoke alot. Little turns 1/4 - 1/2 turns, every third spoke. You will feel the loose ones when you turn the spoke wrench. After you make three revolutions, tap tap each spoke with a wrench, you can hear a thud on the loose ones.

If you "wrenched" alot of spokes, Be sure to check them again after you ride... Others may come loose.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Top Bottom