ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
I tightend my rear spokes last weekend before I went riding and they're lose again. I noticed that when tightening some, they felt stripped and would never tighten. Would this be the rim or the spoke that is stripped?
If i replace them, do i have to take the whole wheel off or can i just do one at a time while on the wheel?

kartstar

May 24, 2006
Make sure the spokes aren't just spinning when you try to tighten them, esp. the ones that "felt stripped." If they are, then you haven't really tightened them at all. I have a '96 CR250 that many the rear spokes are seized in the nipples and won't tighten. I have a few more things to try (HEAT!!) before I give up and buy new spokes at $70 a wheel.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
kartstar said:
Make sure the spokes aren't just spinning when you try to tighten them, esp. the ones that "felt stripped." If they are, then you haven't really tightened them at all. I have a '96 CR250 that many the rear spokes are seized in the nipples and won't tighten. I have a few more things to try (HEAT!!) before I give up and buy new spokes at $70 a wheel.

Actually I think they are "just spinning" in the nipple. Can I try to break them lose with a locking wrech on the spoke or will that dammage it?

kartstar

May 24, 2006
You didn't hear this from me, but lightly clamping the spoke with a pair of Vise Grips might allow you to tighten the nipple...I'm sure it's not a great thing to do to the spoke, but hey - there's 36 of 'em! :laugh:

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
kartstar said:
You didn't hear this from me, but lightly clamping the spoke with a pair of Vise Grips might allow you to tighten the nipple...I'm sure it's not a great thing to do to the spoke, but hey - there's 36 of 'em! :laugh:

Gotcha! ;)

Top Bottom