clown

Jan 5, 2006
I am having trouble tightening spokes on both my wheels. They get really hard to turn, however they dont make the correct 'ring' noise. They are starting to get so tight I feel the spoke is about to snap! So no matter how loose or tight they are, I cant seem to get the correct ring. Anybody know why?

Thanks

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Could they be bottomed out? Hope not. Since you can turn them, thats a very big plus. Maybe it's time for some much needed wheel maintenance.

Remove the wheel from the bike and then the tube/tire from the rim. Completely remove a nipple from a spoke. (Can be done with a big screw driver from the outside of the rim) In your case you might need to dedicate a screw driver for just this task by grinding a relief slot in the middle of the blade to straddle the end of the spoke in the nipple.

Completely clean the spoke threads and the nipple threads and run it back on the spoke and see if you can get it to the desired ping. If it does the job, repeat on all spokes.

Do them in a sequence a few at a time to keep the wheel as true as possible, and just bring them back to a good snug. When all are done go through with proper tightening sequence. If you do a search here, there are a bunch of threads on wheel truing. (At my typing limit, sorry) Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Seized spokes can be a real PITA. I had a '99 KTM where I ended up putting penetrating oil on every nipple, heating them with a propane torch, spinning off the nipple with a screwdriver, then cleaned each spoke, applied Never-Seize and re-assembled one spoke at a time. It was time consuming, but worth it. Spend the time to true up the rim and you're back in business with a good wheel and adjustable spokes.

clown

Jan 5, 2006
like I said the spokes turn, and when they are completely loose you can tighten them with your hand, so they are not seized, they just dont tighten properly. Am I running out of thread on the spoke maybe?

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
The first question in my post back to you was "could they be bottoming out?" Only you have the ability to answer this because you are there, and we are here!

clown

Jan 5, 2006
sorry dezryder, I was unsure what you meant by 'bottoming out'. I understand now!

Im pretty sure they are 'bottoming out', so what caused this to happen? And how do I fix it? New spokes?

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
shorter spokes..

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
you have to tighten them to the wheel stays perfect circle. i put the spokes and nipples on then take it to the dealer to get it trued.. one of the tools i lack.. but it costs like 20-30 bucks to have it done..

Top Bottom