wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i've already looked in all other threads but couldn't figure out why when i try to tighten my spokes they seem to kust unscre out. it feels as if it won't screw in but just pushes back out. The ones that did screw in seem to get harder an then eaisier and continue to do so in either direction, like its strippeding or something. It is easy in the begining and gets harder and then easy again.? I also had tightend my chain recently because when i got the bike it seemed to have alot of slack, (the spokes that are loose are on the sproket side only) would this affect it? Could someone pleeze help? I

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
The threads might be stripped on your spoke nipples, or the spoke threads themselves. I bet a forum/internet search might provide a good "how to" guide for tightening spokes. The main thing is to remember that the rim must remain "true". Tightening on one side only might result in an "untrue" rim.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
It's probably time to replace some spokes. This problem usually spreads quickly if you have some loose ones. If you can't tighten one, replace it, nipple and all. Hopefully, you can buy them individually. For some bikes you can and for some you can't. Your looking at five or six bucks each including the nipples. (apprx.)
Good luck!

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
If a lot of them are screwed up then just buy a whole set of spokes and nipples which would be a better price per each one. Heck, the others are slowly biting the dust anyway so you might as well replace them all. How I did it: Cut one off with bolt cutters, replace it, go to next. that way you don't have a wheel truing nightmare. Buy Excel . I saved money and bought something cheaper and after a year they are stripping out! arghh

500_boy

Jan 3, 2004
Hey there, I am in the process of restoring my 85 cr500. I want to polish the wheels and have tryed wet sanding them with good results, but It would be alot easier to wet sand the wheels by taking all the spokes out, how hard is this, and is it hard to put all of them back in?

Top Bottom