spooge at headpipe

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
i'm getting spooge at the point where the head pipe meets the engine. Let me now give more details.

I ride an 02 yz250. The headpipe is completely on the flange (?) of the engine, however it doesn't sit perfectly around it. . . there's a small gap on the bottom . . . not an air gap, but like when you put a plastic lid on a disposable cup incorrectly. Also, when I removed the pipe, it seemed to slide off easier than before. I regreased it with lithium and that seemed to help it seal a bit tighter. The ring seals in the pipe are original. jetting is good. I'm new to adjusting the air screw, but I think i did it. (Here's what I did: Warm up bike. Hold throttle slightly open and steady. Start air screw at 1 turn out and slowly open till engine revs higher. Turn in slightly till engine returns to prior idle.)

B

biglou

Here's how I set the air screw on a 2-stroke: Fully warm up engine, adjust idle so there is one (with hands off throttle). Turn air screw out to highest rev point, may have to go past it then back in to it. After that, set the idle to where you want it.

As for the pipe fit, try loosening (but not removing) all the mounts for the entire system front to back. Grab the pipe and try to square it up, get it flush in the head flange. Then go back and tighten up all the mounts, front to rear.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I used high temp silicone on the flange on my 01 YZ 250 when installing a new FMF fatty. No spooge like I had with the same pipe (before I ruined it) leaking out.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…