OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
I just put a new top end on my son's KX85 and while I was at it, I put in a leaner main jet because it had been spooging BAD. Like running down the silencer and all over the brake caliper after an hour, bad.
Anyhow, when I cranked her up cold there was no smoke at idle, a little when revved, but not much. I had my son ride it around a bit, but still seemed dry.
I put in a richer than before main and went back to center clip on the needle(it had been on the top clip). Still no smoke. I revved while cupping my hand near the exhaust to see if I could detect a little smoke. There was hardly any, but I did notice that I was getting little specks of spooge on my hand???
On the other hand, my younger son's RM65 smokes like a locomotive at startup and produces NO spooge.
Whatta ya make of that?? :think:

GoT_GreeN

Jun 17, 2007
It's probably comming from the silencer, the packing gets drenched in the stuff as well as a coating twords the back end of the pipe, It's more than likely just blowing out some old stuff.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
GoT_GreeN said:
It's probably comming from the silencer, the packing gets drenched in the stuff as well as a coating twords the back end of the pipe, It's more than likely just blowing out some old stuff.
Definately sounds like that. Repack the silencer. If you have a pressure washer, spray it in the pipe(not the silencer) to help blow out some of the junk. And changing the main wont change how rich it is at idle. I wouldnt worry about that. Ride the bike, if it's ok under normal riding conditions then I cant see it being a problem that it doesnt smoke at idle. Do a search for jetting, there's days worth of good reading on it. Good luck :ride: .

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
_JOE_ said:
Ride the bike, if it's ok under normal riding conditions then I cant see it being a problem that it doesnt smoke at idle.
Therein lies the problem... After putting in a fresh top end, I'd feel a LOT more comfortable if I could detect that the air/fuel ratio were adequate as not to stick the piston or otherwise damage anything BEFORE putting it back into normal service.
I'm reasonably confident that there isn't an air leak and if it were only lean on the idle circuit I'd suspect a clogged pilot. Also if it were already at operating temperature I'd be okay with it, but if it runs clear cold, I worry what's gonna happen after warm up.
The spoogey silencer is likely the culprit of the specks which is a shame since I repacked it about three hours ago!
At any rate, I'm always paranoid after doing engine work and in the absence of any bogging, I suppose I'll have to just grit my teeth and let him roll.

Top Bottom