showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I cannot seem to get the spooge under control on my 01 RM. I have repacked the silencer and switched oil from Motul to Maxima, but I still have too much oozing spooge. It also sprays the oil on the rear fender which makes the yellow fender look gross.
I usually run the ration at 40:1. I used to run 50:1 in another bike until I spun the main bearings, so I am reluctant to go any higher on the ratio. I have been on a thumper for the last 3 years, so I am a bit rusty on 2 stroke tuning . Thanks for any insight.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Some bikes run differently with different oils, I have used golden spectro, amsoil, motul, etc. The cleanest by far for me is Mobile 1 MX2T. I run that on both my RM's at 40:1 Also your jetting may be a little on the rich side causing this, make sure your jetting isn't to rich cause that will have a lot to do with it. Also could be rh crank seal if the problem wont go away.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Dittos on what Okie said. Also - pre-mix ratios will not have any impact on main bearings. Those are lubed by the crankcase oil, not premix. It sounds like you need to do a couple of things:

* Jet the bike.
Don't be scared. It isn't that hard, really. Look on Eric Gorr's site - he has a really useful article on jetting.

and the other thing...

* Get on the gas!

Have fun! Once you get it jetted, the bike will be a whole lot more enjoyable to ride.

-jeffd

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
jeffd said:
Dittos on what Okie said. Also - pre-mix ratios will not have any impact on main bearings. Those are lubed by the crankcase oil, not premix. It sounds like you need to do a couple of things:

* Jet the bike.
Don't be scared. It isn't that hard, really. Look on Eric Gorr's site - he has a really useful article on jetting.

and the other thing...

* Get on the gas!

Have fun! Once you get it jetted, the bike will be a whole lot more enjoyable to ride.

-jeffd

on a two stroke the main crank bearings are lubed by premix not crankcase oil, but you are right about getting the bike jetted right.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I have no cure for the throttle issue, I seriously doubt that I get any faster. ......lol
The spooge seems to be a bigger issue with this bike than other 2 strokes I have had in the past. I don't remember any of the others blowing it all over the rear fender either. This might be a design flaw with respect to silencer and fender placement. Just a guess.
I'm very confident that 50:1 spun my mains on my old KTM. I will try some jetting changes. thanks

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
I doubt 50:1 spun your bearings on your old KTM. It was probably like you said "old". My 01' did the same spooge all over the rear fender as yours. I run 32:1 like it says. I went with a leaner pilot jet but I can' remember the #. This was just to clean up the blubbery low end and cold fouling. Then I did the slide cut that has been talked about often on this site. I took the minimum amount as a base line and was happy with that so I left it alone. I left the main jet alone because I don't ride the bike in the upper rpm's much. The pilot/slide cut really cut down on the spooge on the fender. Didn't cure it but it cleaned up 75% of it and I had a lot. This bike spooged more than any other 2stroke I've owned. I think I can do even better playing with it when winter is over.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
A little spooge never hurt anything. That being said....if you increase the oil in the mix, it will lean things out in all circuits, resulting in increased protection and less gunk. Not to mention an increase in HP due to better seal of the rings.

Before you get too frustrated...take the pipe off and clean it out. A good cleaning at a radiator shop will do a nice job. There is lots of gunk in your pipe from previous rich jetting that will continue to come out even when jetted well. You could also go the oven cleaner route...but it may not get it as clean as one would hope.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I read the stuff on the Forward Motion site and I got a little confused concerning spooge. Gorr comments about experimenting with fuel/oil ratios as a troubleshooting tool. He comments that these changes are effective across the full range of throttle positions. Now, if diffferent ratios produce different results with jetting, it seems to be logical that different ratios would produce different amounts of spooge as well. Just trying to regrasp my old 2 stroke tips. Years of thumpering have diminished my memory.

Top Bottom