Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
Im running 40:1 and it runs like a dream on top, a little slow to the powerband on bottom. SPOOGES ALL OVER and im getting sick of ruining pants like crazy. Also where my silencer and head pipe meet and the silencer slips over, it spews all over and down all over the air box cover. i dont want to risk ruining the way it runs by jetting and running different mix or blowing it up by running too lean. what do i do first?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Rebuild the bottom end, a leak down test can confirm an issue there. Have the bore checked for being true. If your ports are shiny, hogged out, and the cases match, forget it. It would be very expensive to replace, or just live with it. Ignition being off is easy. Or, the way the bike is being used. You have stated some really wild rational to begin with. Running 40:1, you are too lean on oil, and SUPER rich on the gas, it may not last long if properly used. Fix the motor and repack the silencer, mix at 20:1~28:1, JET the bike. A side note: Burn, dip or get a new pipe. All that crud in there is not going to help. Everything I wrote, will and can cause spooge, except the premix ratio. That is cheap insurance, cheap horsepower, and cheap killer throttle response. Properly maintained, spooge does not become an issue. Neglect her in any method, and she will spooge? Vintage Bob

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
but running more oil will make the spooge worse wont it?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Kx85Krazy said:

but not running enough will cause the motor to seize.

You sound like you are just beginning to learn about bikes and jetting. Do yourself a favor and tear into your carb, do a top end clean the power valves if your bike has them (since we can only speculate the bike you have) and repack the silencer and clean out the pipe first.

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/printcarbtuning.html

Trying to jet a bike based on excess oil is rediculous. You need to do some maintenance then jetting then your problems will iron out.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I suppose, if the engine already has issues, I could see running less oil to some would seem ideal. BUT, this is backwards thinking off the top. Your first post screams, "I want my bike fixed, but not really?" If you believe it runs good now, it WILL scare jeeves out of you running properly. Excessive spooge and it seemingly runs, is the coolant and/or tranny fluid is getting into the combustion process somehow. Plain and simple, sorry. I am pretty sure it is past a jetting issue. Which you stated you do not want to do, either.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Kx85Krazy said:

Running more oil (up to 20:1 anyway) with an engine that is sound and jetted correctly will not cause more spooge. Spooge is caused by unburnt fuel/oil mix. If you are jetted correctly and your engine is sound, you should be burning nearly all of your premix fuel/oil and excessive spooge is not a problem. Most spooge problems I've dealt with were fixed with deliberate and methodical rejetting (or replacement of the carb on worn vintage bikes and rejetting). Too many people think running less oil fixes spooge and all that does is richen the amount of gasoline being introduced into the cylinder, usually making the problem worse rather than better.
If you are jetted at any given point, a certain amount of fuel/oil is going to be mixed with the air and introduced into your cylinder. If you lessen the amount of oil in that mix, the amount of gasoline increases. The same amount of fuel/oil is going in, no matter what the ratio of them to each other. What you need to do is change the amount of the fuel/oil to the ratio of the air, which is where jetting comes into play. And it isn't always as easy as just pilot and main jet. It can be the needle, needle jet, worn slide or other things too sometimes.
But as VintageBob pointed out, if your top end is worn or your seals are bad, all the jetting in the world won't likely fix the problem until you address those issues. Keep on Trying!!! Jetting isn't as bad as some people imagine, but it does take time and a few brass parts.

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
alright thanks for all the advice. its much appreciated

Top Bottom