Sport Carrier by Spectrum Industries

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I just bought the hitch mounted motorcycle carrier or Sport Carrier by Spectrum Industries.  I got it because I don't have a p/u truck - just a Suburban and '72 K5 Blazer (and removing the hardtop for loading the bike was too much trouble).

Overall, I like the concept of a hitch mounted bike carrier, as I don't need to store a trailer (or have it slow me down, I like to cruz) and I usually carry only one bike anyway.  It worked ok, but I'm not thrilled with this unit.  here's why:

(1) the pull-dowm anchors are located in-line with the receiver, so the straps would be angled towards the center of the bike.  I didn't measure, but the angle between the forks and straps was about 30-40 degrees.  This is a problem with creating enough tension to prevent a loose strap (and subsequent un-hookage).  I had this happen, but fortunately, I had back-up straps in place.

(2) the loading end has a slot for holding a ramp (not supplied).  It the fact is wasn't supplied for $229 that got me.

(3) The bolts are plated, not SS.  The nuts were nylocks, which was good.

(4) Because the stell plates that fasten the aluminum carrier are bolted, you can (and do) get some play.  Not a confidence item for sure.

(5) The welds on the aluminum weren't pretty.  I've welded thin-walled aluminum (bike frame like Cannondale, Trek, etc) before (10 years ago) and I think they could be improved.  I'm sure they will hold, but again it is the workmanship.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna modify it to get it to make it more secure.  It may void the warranty, but I'd rather waste $229 than $3k on the bike!

Top Bottom