yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Some may remember my thread "Thinking about a Sportbike" well here I am about to take the plunge and BANG! Received my quote from Progressive for insurance. To say my record is clean is an understatement - MCS (safety course)within 3, married, 32 yrs yadda-yadda. I called them because I'm thinking about a 2001 929RR or 2002 9??RR. Their quote? $2,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was for Texas required liabilty, Comp, and Coll w/ $500 dect. per most lenders.

No way! Tell me how you're doing yours because there's no way I'm paying that.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Progressive is the company I use most, they really do have the best street bike rates for the most part. To get a lower rate, try these things,
Tell them you will be keeping the bike in a Garage or shed,,,,, dont ask cause I dont know but it will lower your rate.
Tell them you have taken saftery corses.
Other than that, if your not financing the bike you dont need to carry full tort and a bunch of other junk.
I pay like 550 a year of liabiltiy, fire and theft on an 86 VFR 750.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I used to have a '88 Suzuki Katana 1100 - big sport touring bike but it 'looks' like a crotch rocket so my insurance co, USAA, didn't want to cover it initially. Finally got it covered for CA liability, comp & collision - I think it was ~$500/year. I was under 30 at the time. I got a quote from Progressive at the Long Beach MC show and literally laughed at the guy when he came back with ~$1800/year for liability only. I was not impressed with Progressive.

Brian

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I wrote one of my guys at work who has a 2001 ZX12. Going through Progressive and a few others, he got as high as 3500/year. His hog was only 360/year - both full coverage. Eventually he went with State Farm and was told they go by displacement, not sportbike - cruiser. His rate is $90/month or $592 / 6mo. He gave me his agents number and I'm going to check into it. Also, he said that State Farm was supposed to be revamping their quotes that should result in a 40% decrease. I'll believe that when I see it though. I can't believe the rates they want for these.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Strick

Dairyland wants get this, are you ready?.......$3450

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
State farm is by far the cheapest out there. They beat Progressives price of full coverage by over $1200!!

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
Yarbo - I use StateFarm for my house, 1 car, and my DRZ and they quoted me $180/year for good coverage on a 2001 SV650. You usually get better deals when you carry mutliple lines of coverage.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
PRogressive wanted something like 300 a year for my bike with damage, theft and fire only!!! I will try state farm. BTW, my grandfather pays about 30 dollars a year for his honda elite scooter. Kindof funny.:confused:

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
A little under $1200.00 a year for Full coverage on 00' GSX-R 750 (should be in the same class as the 929) Plus theft and Comprehensive on my KTM 300. It's through AllState but they wouldn't even do Motorcycle Coverage unless I had a car through them and have been with them for 6 months. I do have my house and cars through them though and a good driving record believe it or not.

Top Bottom