Sportsman Sportster Toy Hauler (Questions)??

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
I have been looking at toybox trailers for a long time and finally am ready to purchase a 5th wheel unit soon. My GMC 3500 D-Max/Alli truck is on-order!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!! Does anyone here have a Sportsman Sportster 29 or 35 foot unit made by KZ inc.? Any comments on their quality and how well they tow ect... I have heard that the 5th wheel units handle bad terrain better than tow behind units, my biggest concern on the 5th wheel units is getting in and out of MX tracks with bad terrain and dragging the back of the trailer or contacting the truck bed rails with the camper underside. I would think this would be worse on the 35' model. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
KXRider we have a 37' Playmor sport fifth wheel and before that had a 28' Playmor Renegade tag along style. I pulled both with a '98 Chevy crewcab dually 7.4L. No comparision in how they pull, fifth wheel is much more stable and easier to manuever. I don't think you'll have a problem with the rear dragging, they sit pretty tall. The new 3500's sit pretty high so bed clearance may be a problem. If it has leaf spring suspension you may have to flip the axles under the spring and raise the trailer up so it's leval on the truck.

I'm not familiar with the brand you mentioned but can recommend the Playmor line. They make about every size and configuration you can imagine. They will also build custom units for you. I can give you some good ideas if you decide to order one instead of taking a stock unit off the lot.

I looked at the 3500 HD Duramax/Allison as well as the F450 and F550's but decided that if I were going to spend that much money I would go ahead and get a sho-nuff TRUCK! I bought a '97 Freightliner FL60 4 door with 45,000 miles on it for about what one of the others cost. It has a 8.3L Cummins 275HP/860 ftlbs of torque with a 6 speed Allison.Airride suspension,airride cab and airride captains chairs. It tows 13,000 lbs like it's not back there and stops equally well.

Goodluck with your choice of trailers. Just remember whatever you buy you'll wish you could change something as soon as you use it.

Toolman

ADS

Nov 21, 2001
Lawman, if your gonna buy any of that stuff, you might as well start taking me to all of the scrambles. Pretty please!;)

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
oh it'll be awhile, but i think when cash flow improves (i.e. is noticeable), something like this will be my next hauler. right now i'm just dreamin'!

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Lawman, some of the things we did were: 2nd outside door leading into the garage so you could strip off the dirty gear in the back and not track thru the living quarters. 24" wide door between garage and living room, std was 18". Larger LP tanks: 40 Lb instead of 30Lb. No diamond treadplate on ramp door, too slippery when wet. Spray on bedliner instead. 4 Fantastic vent fans: garage, living area, bath and bed room. Larger size A/C, Torsion Axle trailer suspension, lower maint and better ride than leaf spring. Dovetail floor in garage for easier loading of low street bikes. LP gas powered Onan MicroQuiet 4k generator in front compartment. 4 6volt golfcart batteries wired for 12v instead of single 12v deepcycle. External cable TV input tied into outlets in living and bedroom. Extra awning over slideout.2nd closet in bedroom for storage. I have added 3 overhead Snap-on cabinets , a wall cabinet, a boot storage shelf and a small shelf that holds about 6 to 8 qts of oil in the garage. I can fit a Honda PC800 (wifes), a BMWR1100RT, A KTM520E/XC, and a GasGas 250 Pampera (wifes) in the garage along with all riding gear and spare parts and tools. Loaded this way with 100 gals of water the trailer weighs about 13,000 lbs. I could never relax and comfortably pull this using a 1 ton truck. I bought the Freightliner for about the same as the Ford 450/550 was going to cost set up with a custom hauler bed. The 3500HD Chevy would have been less but the bed height of the new GM's may have been a problem. The Freightliner is FUN to drive with or without the trailer.My everyday driver is an International 4900 24' Snap-On truck that weighs 28,000 lbs.

If I think of anything else I'll post it later

Toolman:)

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
HGilliam,
Thank's for the info. That is some truck you have, but I have been a chevy guy for a long time and have to drive what I buy every day. At this point I have went overboard looking at so many choices in toy haulers. I too am concerned in the bed height and told them I had to have 8 inches minimum between the bed rails and the trailer front underside before I buy. Looks like the unit will weigh max 10,800 to 11,800 max loaded with options, 110 gallons of water, 4 bikes and everything else I could come up with. That should put the max pin weight somewhere around 2,800#. I also plan on getting the rear side door, no tread plate just a non skid floor, dual lp tanks, and fiberglass exterior. Sounds like a good idea on the golfcart batteries. What is your opinion on the 3500 duramax/allison in the range of 10,800 and 11,800#? Seems to be well with in it's limits but I am new to this and not only need to be sure I can pull the unit, but stopping it is important too.

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
KXRider the chevy 3500HD dually, Duramax/Allison should pull it very well and should stop it well in conjunction with the trailer brakes. I understand the 3500HD has larger brakes than the 450/550 Fords. If it rides too rough Kelderman makes a great Airride conversion, I have one on my '98 dually.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the new truck.

Some info you should know about RV's: There is about 30 to 35% markup and you should be able to buy one at about 20% off list price. This leaves the dealer a 12 to 15% profit margin. Now is a good time to buy one! My friend in the RV business says he isn't letting anyone walk off that is a serious buyer.I always tell the salesmen his job is to make as much profit as possible, my job is to not let him make it all off me! Good luck with the trailer purchase, we sure do enjoy ours and hope to full time in one when we retire.

If you think of any more questions, fire away!

Toolman

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey h, that is some rig, eh? i guess it's true what they say, there's a fine line b/t a hobby & a mental illness! (j/k). your mods sound very well thought-out. thanks for the suggestions. i wondered how you'd vent the fuel vapors out of the living quarters in 1 of those, a concern particularly when firing up the stove. 1 question: with what it must have cost you for the big truck & customized trailer, did you ever consider 1 of the converted box vans, such as from pete's rv?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Toolman - would love to see some pics of the garage in your trailer. I have a '00 Patio Hauler 351F that I am working on setting up. You've thought ahead & it shows.

One observation: Have you actually weighed your trailer fully loaded? 13K sounds a bit low considering all the bikes, water & batteries. I'm guessing dry weight is 10K for you're set up.

I weighed on our way to Elkins Flat in October and was surprised that my GCW was 21,300lbs. I tow this with a '00 Dodge 2500 (3/4 Ton) 4wd Cummins w/6pd and it's no problem. I have an exhaust brake so the slowing down part of the equation is better than the speeding up side. The 9% grade into Death Valley (1400 mile trip to the desert for riding w/DV as a 'let's check it out') was a bit slow but in general I am very happy with the combo.

My buddy uses a crew cab 2500 4wd Duramax swb to tow his 34' TailGator 5th wheel and he seems pretty impressed with the truck & trailer.

Get the trailer and you'll never go back.

Brian

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Lawman, I travel with the top roof vent in the garage open and there is a approx. 1X2 vent door at floor leval that I always open for travel. This way the heavier gas fumes go down and out with fresh air coming in the top vent. I have not had a fume problem in the living area yet.

The Pete's RV trucks are nice but in order to have the same space we have the truck would be close to 50 feet long. Neither cheap or easy to manuever. You would also have to tow a small truck or car to drive once you set up camp. I think the fifth wheel is the most bang for the buck as well as easier to resell when you want to trade up or down. I would like to eventually have a 40' triple slide Alfa Toyhouse to live fulltime in. At least now I have the truck to pull it if I do buy one sometime. At this time the Alfa is truely the top of the line Toyhauler trailer. A self employed salesman needs to have motivational goals ya' know!

Maybe we'll make it to a Spodefest sometime soon.

Toolman:)

Top Bottom