Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Has anyone out there been using PJ1's spray-on air filter oil? I'm on my second can (the first leaked all over my garage shelf). It seems to be less messy to use, but some of the oil seems to run out of the filter after a couple of days sitting in the garage. I'm not finding any dirt inside the airboot (although I haven't ridden in anything excessivly dusty yet). I haven't heard of anyone else using this stuff. Any thoughts? :think

MX221

Jul 21, 2000
I don't trust it. I like to hand rub my oil on. It's nasty, but I know FOR SURE that it's evenly coated all over. If you find dirt in your airbox, there was probably more past that point. If you know what I mean.

Shane

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Gary,
I have been using PJ1 spray on filter oil for the last two years, and have been satisfied with it. I still lightly rub in the oil after spraying it on. I'm like Shane, I don't completely trust just spraying on the oil and throwing it back in the air box. I have not experienced oil dripping from the filter as you describe. If you are soaking the filter with oil, that may be why it is dripping from the filter.

Pat Burroughs

Sep 10, 1999
Originally posted by MX221
I don't trust it. I like to hand rub my oil on. It's nasty, but I know FOR SURE that it's evenly coated all over. If you find dirt in your airbox, there was probably more past that point. If you know what I mean.

I wanna know where the heck you're riding that you can avoid getting dirt in your airbox. :think

I use Maxima FAB-1 (spray on) and hand rub it in just like regular oil so that it's evenly distributed. I almost hesitate to say this (no wood within reach to knock on), but I have never gotten dirt past my air filter.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I always spray inside and out and then squeeze the filter to distribute the oil evenly. Maybe I had been applying too heavily, as recently I don't have as much "drippage" as the first time. :eek: I hpoe no one quotes that last line out of context!

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
From an X PJ-1 user

I used PJ-1 spray-on oil for over a year. Here is what I did. Take a plastic bag like you get from the grocery store, put the filter in it and spray the outside AND inside of the filter. Kneed the filter all over using the bag to keep your hands clean. This distributes the oil evenly through the filter. Sometimes you may have to spray a second time on places where the oil is thin.
Remove the filter from the bag, apply some rim grease and install.

I say I'm an X PJ-1 user because I have recently switched to No-Toil. I maintain 3 dirt bikes and cleaning 3 filters at a time was getting to be a hassle. With No-Toil I just toss them in the washing machine (with special cleaner) and re-oil with the No-Toil oil. Job done!

Good Luck and happy oiling...

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I can just hear it in my house, "YOU PUT WHAT IN THE WASHER!!" I'll stick to the washing it in the street method thank you. I use the PJ-1 also but I've noticed the can leaks alot and I do get drips from the filter. I have been using the plastic bag method too and have been happy with it so far. Hey CRguy, can I use your washer for my riding pants and misc motor parts! hahaha

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Same as Pat B. here. Maxima FAB-1, rub it in.

I used to use No Toil but it can leave a nasty mess in your washing machine as a former, inconsiderate, roommate of mine was so kind to demonstrate. :p

Besides, I have a hard time justifing running the washing machine for just a few filters. Wastes water and more wear on the machine than is necessary IMO. We just recently got a new spray on air filter cleaner (can't remember the brand) that works great! Just spray on, let sit for a few minutes briefly spray off with the hose and voila! :)

jzyz

Jun 28, 2001
I use Bel-Ray oil but the what made my life easier was useing surgical gloves to rub the oil in. My hands stay clean and it's easier to squeeze the extra oil back into an oil tub which make your bottle or can of oil last longer.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I am a former PJ1 sprayer and switched to FAB1 spray because it is much, much tackier and doesn't seem to drip as much. I also trust it more since it is so tacky. However, now I have switched to the liquid FAB1, since it is actually faster and cleaner for me to dunk and squeeze than it is to spray and rub. ;) Now I just have a sealed tub of kerosene, a sealed tub of oil, and a box of latex gloves. Actually a much faster and cleaner process.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I switched from Spectro spray cleaner and oil to No-Toil. I'm not brave enough to use the machine, so I just use a dishpan full of water.
No-toil has a spray, but you get 4 more ounces of pour for the same money.
If you read directions of spray, most all oils recommend the same procedure as for pour oils. Spray is just a vehicle for the oil.

But, for those who find a puddle of oil in your airbox....you need to squeeze out excess oil just like pour-ons. Spray, rub, and ride, don't cut it.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I just started doing the "surgical glove thing" and it works great! I also leave 'em on when installing the filters. I couldn't imagine putting air filters in the washing machine! YIKES! That would be "Divorce Court". I've got a home built parts washer in my garage, wash 'em off in there, use detergent on them in the wash tubs in the basement, let 'em dry, and oil them.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
To avoid puddling of oil in the foam (and dripping), pre-dry the filter after oiling and before installing by blowing clean compressed air through it for a couple minutes to evaporate the carrier solvent. This applies to all filter oils. I use the No-Toil system with gloves for oiling, washing, and installation. I batch process all my filters 2 at a time in a bucket of hot water and cleaner, rinse, and dump in the street. I do dry them in the dryer on low if I'm in a hurry. I live on a lake and have a well, so I have to be carefull what gets dumped on the ground. Try washing a filter in hot water and simple green or dishwashing liquid after a solvent wash, and you will be amazed at the dirt that was still in there.

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
I had some spray on No-Toil, I did not like it too much. The regular oil in the bottle seems to work better for application.

As far as the washing machine goes, I have not tried that yet. The kitchen sink seems to work just fine! :p

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
What all the fuss about, JUST DON'T USE A FILTER :scream: Use a piece of metal window screen to keep out the big rocks. I've been doing this for over a year, and only had to rebuild my engine 10 or so times. but my hands are free from filter oil goo ;)

Realistcally, I've used the spray on oil for 2 years in so cal dust and haven't had a problem, spray it inside and out and it works pretty good.

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
If you have to rub/work the filter oil in to make sure it's covered, what's the advantage of the spray stuff? Seems like more work to spray than to pour.

I still use a plastic bag, gloves, and just pour the oil into the bag. It will chase out any remaining water, and whatever oil you squeeze back out won't mix with the oil (unless you have bogus oil) so you can still pour the excess oil back into the can for next time. Do not leave the lid off the can too long, the carrier will dissolve.

No-Toil...I am curious how this stuff works. My rule of "thumb": The harder it is to wash the oil off my thumb without solvent, the better the oil.

MobyP

Sep 25, 2000
Speaking about spray on filters, I got this problem. When I use it on my kawa 125, there's no problem at all.

Recently, I manage to loan a xr4 98 model from a friend. The first time I clean the air filter, I spray on a thick layer of PJ1 filter oil. Now whenever I throttle, the bike seems to be choking. When at 3/4 throttle open, was like gasping for air.

I took out the air filter and rode up and down the street couple of time, it worked fine, no problem at all. So I figured out that I sprayed too much. The second time, I just sprayed a thin layer on. Well, the problem continues.

What do you guys think?

LB400

Apr 9, 2001
Boy, am I ever glad I read this thread!

Thanks a lot for all the tips guys! I am a pour-on oil believer, and NOW I'll be using the plastic bag trick for getting it distributed properly -- no messy hands or surgical gloves. I don't know why anyone would bother with spray-on if you have to wet it out afterwards anyway.

Now......Is it necessary to use grease on the seal, or will the oil seal it off well enough?

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I've never had dirt get by the filter, but I grease all the lips anyway. My YZ has one of those PC Racing seals on it. Works good!

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
mobyp,

never put a freshly oiled filter in a larger four stroke. the bike can suck oil into the carb and clog the passages. I always let mine sit off the bike for a day or so then install and I've never had a problem on either my xr600, or klx340. It sounds l;ike this was happening to your bike and once you remove the filter the clogs cleared, then once you reinstalled the freshly oiled filter again it clogged all over again.Often you have to dissasemble the carb and soak it incarb cleaner to completely remove the clog. good luck

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
The grease thing is a personal choice thing. It's probably overkill, but cheap insurance. I've done the grease thing on and off, depends what mood i'm in. When you think about it, the metal plate the filter seals against and/or the plastic inner piece would have to be quite a bit out of flat to allow dirt by the filter (assuming it's tightened down properly). Try installing the inner piece without the filter some time, you will be able to see if everything is in order. A flashlite and feeler gages may be handy for this test.

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
I don't know how to avoid rubbing the oil into the filter, so I pour it on. The only way to go, in my opinion is No-Toil. It is fast and biodegradable. Never had a problem with dirt on the wrong side of the filter.

My method requires two filters.

1. Remove seats with clean hands
2. Oil clean filters with bare hands.
3. Remove dirty fliters with already oily hands.
4. Install clean, freshly oiled, filters.
5. Clean old filers (and hands) with No-Toil cleaning powder.
6. Re-install seat with clean hands

Two bike in ten minutes or less. (not counting drying time for filter.)

Whoops

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I use the Twin Air cleaner and oil (pour on) with the latex gloves. The 'agent' in the oil is so strong, the gloves split apart when peeling them off.
I'm also one of the 'grease the lip', 'better safe than sorry' crowd. The Twin Air oil dries very tacky.

Top Bottom