KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
First Off - a huge THANKS to all of the LMC crew for yet another class act in doing this enduro! It was great to see it done so well oriented towards the kids and begineers, yet be a great tool for someone to learn timekeeping. :thumb:

I thought I would share my experience riding it along with my 11 year old son Mark, and will attempt to get some pics posted as well.

This was my son's first enduro, and would be his first time ever riding that much ORV trail in one setting. While he has done some 45 mile days, those have always been with lots of long breaks, over a period of 5 hours or more and typically on wide ORV route or two tracks up in the UP. So 25 miles of "skinny trail" (cant quite call it "single track" as it was all ample quad width type stuff) would be a real challenge for him.

Riding along with us would be Creeper9, who drove all the way up from near Toldeo to ride with Mark and I. His original plan was to ride as an "X" rider along with me, but at the last minute he decided to be scored - a great opportunity to learn about time keeping. We weren't able to all get on the same minute, so Mark and I were on 10, with Creeper on 11 so if need be he might be able to help out with Mark.

Mark and I started out doing great. I was quite suprised and happy to see that Mark did not seem the least bit nerved up with the whole thing. We found ourselves running a couple of minutes ahead pretty early on, so stopped around the 3 mile point to kill a minute or two. We then swept in to zero the first check. :yeehaw: I sure wish I could say I zeroed my first check in my first race! Between the first and second checks, I screwed up and read my route sheet wrong, reading one line for the miles, then my eyes skipped down a line for time. I concluded we were a couple minutes hot so started poking along killing time. About when I thought we were on time, suddenly we were at a check - 2 minutes late! My fault on that one!

Between check 2 and 3 Mark dropped his bike on a log or something. Creeper happend along and helped him up before I managed to get turned around. He was a bit shook up, but still OK. He must of done a major face plant, as the front edge of visor on his helmet had clumps of moist black dirt hanging on it! So we took a couple of minutes for him to regroup and res a bit. That delay combined with coming out of the prior check a couple minutes down added up to check 3 several minutes down.

Before check 4 Mark lost the front end in some sand. This time I could see he was really getting tired. I asked him how he was doing - his OK was less than enthusiastic. I told him this was the "endurance" part of enduro racing - so it was OK to be tired, and if he wanted to rest a while that was OK with me. To my suprise he remembered there would be a re-set coming up. He asked how long to the reset - about 3 miles. When I asked again if he wanted a break - his response was "lets get to the reset first"! So on we went! He was keeping a decent pace almost all the time - not riding sloppy like I do when I get tired.

Before to long we got into that short "virgin trail" section with all the logs in it. I thought for sure I would be having to help him through, or at a minimum we would get hung up behind other riders I could see. But - we happend to get on a perfect line, Mark cruised on over all the logs just fine with no problems at all! We got to the reset well after our departure time per the route sheet however. A quick stop to reset and yet another suprising, brief conversation "How you doing Mark?" his response a thumbs up :thumb: . "You want to rest or keep moving"? "How far behind are we?" he asked. "Oh - a few minutes - do you want to go or rest? "Lets GO!".

At a short pause about 2 miles from the finish - I could really see he was pushing it and tired. I asked him if he wanted to rest. So he pulled off his goggles, and nodded yes. We paused for a very short time, I told him we were close to being done. He relaxed for a brief minute then said he was ready to go.

Now Creepers experience - he learned some key points of time keeping! I know he zeroed the first check and somewhere in there found out the hard way that you really need to stop at a reset when you are on time or ahead! Result was a big burn at that last check point! We just may convince him to try on a "full size" race later this summer!

The awards ceremony was super. The smiles on the faces of all those kids was outstanding! And then to see your kid taking home the hardware with a first place trophy priceless!

Several other DRN regulars took home some hardware to. Zach Smith, the Thompson Legacy continues with both Erin and Nate doing well. 70marlin and his son both had a great time and proudly displayed their trophies. I am sure I am missing several other DRN members.

I will try to post some of those pics. Hopefully I can figure it out! If anyone wants a higher resolution version email to them just let me know. The first one is a group shot of some of the DRN regulars with their trophys. Not sure the name of the red headed kid though. the second one is a shot of Zach, Smit Dog and Young Ted bench racing.

Attachments

• group trophy.jpg
    group trophy.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 231
  • zach smitdog ted.jpg
    zach smitdog ted.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 223

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Ok here are some more pics. One is a shot of the crowd gathered at the awards ceremony. Check out all those happy kids front and center! The other one is of Smit Dog proudly displaying the fact that he got his chest protector street legalized! That must be one fast chest protector to need a license to wear!

Attachments

• smit dog legal.jpg
    smit dog legal.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 201
  • crowd shot.jpg
    crowd shot.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 216

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
A couple more shots. One is of Creeper9 getting a quick start. He said he actually wanted to follow someone else out so he could watch and learn. Oh well - he did zero the first check at least! My wife said she didnt get a shot of Mark and I at the start as we were just soooo fast all it was was a big blur of speed :laugh:

The other shot is of a tired but happy kid and his proud dad coming into the finish!

Attachments

• c9 off the line.jpg
    c9 off the line.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 222
  • mike mark finish.jpg
    mike mark finish.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 217

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Thanks Mike
Fatherandson was the event chairman and he did an outstanding job, it was real clear that these kids had a blast. I know mine did! I want to thank him for all his work.

The Red Headed guy is Ian Fowler who won the overall! Ian is Badgerman's son. He's 14 I think.

Thanks for the pictures.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Hey congrats to all the kids that cleaned up on those huge trophies. Congrats to Ian taking the overall, following right in his Dad's footsteps!

Great pictures Mike, thanks for sharing your ride with your son Mark.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I had a great time at that race! Aaron and I rode in the same class, he took 1st, I took 2nd. Erin got 1st in her class. Congrats to Grand Champion Ian on his ride! :yeehaw:

I still haven't gotten my odometer set up right, it was way off and I ended up burning the first check by 2 minutes. When I tried to adjust the wheel size on my odo I accidentally ended up resetting the memory! Oops!

I'd like to say thanks to my sponsors Fred T/Ponderosa/Team PTP Racing.

Looking forward to the Mini Moose in July!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
AWESOME REPORT!! Made my birthday FANTASTIC even though I am laying low and couldn't ride!! I saw ALOT of very familiar faces on those pics - GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!
Keep the memories coming.....
Woodsy

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
OK, one more "proud father" report...

Michael (F&S) was at the first Pine Cone (and almost all of the others) as a participant, and it gives me great pride that he's involved in continuing the promotion of our sport.

I wasn't much help due to church related activities, but am pleased with the major DRN involvement as well.

Grace and peace,

Circuit Rider

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Great Job to everyone who rode! I had alot of fun running check #3.
Mike you did a 1st class job.
Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for the pics and the great ride report Mike. Zach rode "cautiously" with the new bike, and the clutch proved "challenging" in the mini-log section. He was pretty bummed with his ride overall, but I told him that at least he finished, whereas I'm 0-2!

Zach and I would like to extend a huge thanks to event chair Mike Maurer ( :thumb: ), all the check and road crossing volunteers, the arrowing and sweep teams, Lansing Motorcycle Club, trophy donors, and the series sponsors - Marsh Industrial and Garceau Wenick-Kutz Magowan Insurance Agency (boy doesn't that roll off the tongue!). It was a first-class event all the way around, and a great turnout.

There was one glaring oversight, however, that Zach pointed out on the way home. There wasn't a class/age category for Young Ted! The guy drove all the way from Illinois, brought 2 bikes, his ace pit crew, a traveling POG booth, and he rides in damn near every enduro in the tri-district area! Odds are Ted would have swept his class, but he was denied!

Here are just a few more pics. I shamelessly lifted some of your pictures Mike to complete the album...

http://community.webshots.com/album/137766849JaQMWM

On the way from Kalkaska to the LMC club grounds, Zach said that he didn't want to ride anymore that day. Too tired and bummed. Well, that was until we pulled in and he saw Brent, aka Derhntr Jr. As quick as the bike was unloaded and he was geared up, the boys were off riding. They pretty much rode for a day and half straight, stopping only to eat and sleep.

Thanks also to Derhntr for the Saturday evening trail ride along with Fender. It was a much needed carbon-blaster, especially after a 12 MPH enduro ride (or in our case, 9 MPH!). I'm even beginning to like my bike! Nothing cooler than a couple of 2-hunnies flying down the trail!

Sunday was another great day of riding and trail maintenance. Rode with Fred T, Farmer Tom, Young Ted, Derhntr, and Fender. Father&Son provided truck and chainsaw support. We never got lost, but then again ole Woodsy wasn't riding with us...

Great weekend - Thanks guys!

Last edited:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Fatherandson was the event chairman and he did an outstanding job

Ditto! Thanks Mike, Mike, Fred, Dave, Don, Tom, and everyone else. The effort you all put forth to support our sport is very much appreciated and nothing short of amazing.

Mike........it was especially nice to see your smiling face at almost every road crossing! :)

Congrats to Ian taking the overall, following right in his Dad's footsteps!

Geez, I thought my job, as Ian's father, was to ensure that he DOES NOT follow in my footsteps! LOL!

He smiled all the way home..............priceless. :thumb:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I am glad everyone had a great time. Once the race got started, I also was able to enjoy myself. I was racing around in Lenny's pick up making sure check crews were in place and helping out at road crossings. I got back to the staging area in time help with scoring. By trophy time, I was ready to sit down and watch.
I would like to thank everyone for participating, but a HUGE thank you to everone who helped out - pre riding, check crews, road crossings, sign up, scoring and sound test. As there is no I in team, this event takes a lot of work from many people.
I do remember the first Pine Cone in 1978 (I still have the trophy) and will do what I can to create similar memories for the future trail/enduro riders.
Remember.....this event was round # 1 of the Family Enduro Series. Magoo will be the host at round # 2 in Marquette and the final round will be back at the LMC clubgrounds in August. The results from the Spring Pine Cone will be on the D14 website in the next few weeks.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I’d like to thank everyone involved with this event. Mike, Fred, LMC members, (check people, timekeepers), DNR, & Kalkaska area. They all did a great job to make it fun! The event was a real eye opener for me. I never tried to keep time before; it was fun and gave me something else to do while riding “Like I needed more.” Even with an odometer that was way off. Aaron & I did well I’m hooked on this racing thing! We’ll be buying more equipment (Roll charts & watches with larger dials so this blind man can read it with out his glasses.) plus I’ll be working on get the odometer accurate on my Berg. I wanted to stop by Moorsetown to help out and ride Sunday but Aaron & I was so excited with winning something like this. We drove straight home (after lunch & a nap) too his mother and showed off some great hardware. We’re hooked! Next stop Magoo’s Mini Moose!

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
70 marlin said:
Aaron & I did well I’m hooked on this racing thing! ... Aaron & I was so excited with winning something like this. We drove straight home (after lunch & a nap) too his mother and showed off some great hardware. We’re hooked!
Not to speak for Mike, but I think this is EXACTLY what he was hoping for! To create this kind of enthusiasm and enjoyment for others to experience with a sport we so love. It's great to see parents AND kids doing something together! :thumb:
And a huge Congratulations to Mike and everyone that worked so hard to put this event on! It's great to see a new event! I hope it inspires more Family Enduro Events like this!
We look forward to seeing you (and others!) at the Mini-Moose in July. I hope that we can "hook" a few more!
Magoo

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
This whole getting "hooked" thing really is a key point here!

Mike M mentioned his first Pine Cone back in 78. It was either 78 or maybe 79 that I did a Pine Cone event as well. I had no clue about time keeping etc (I didnt even know you were supposed to be doing it!), but all I knew was that I was "racing" - and I had FUN! I didnt race again (I use the term "race" loosely in my case!) for another oh, 22 years when some guy from the UP...Magoo, convinced me that the Loose Moose was a great race to do as your first enduro. I ended up doing the Mini Moose the day before as a warm up. Got a first place trophy, and I thought I was ready to rip on the big race the next day. Boy was I wrong! I houred out, had an ER visit etc. yet I was HOOKED! I still do crappy at best (Forever C Class is my Motto!), I don't even attempt to do a whole series - but I will continue to do a few races every year just for the fun of it. And this year, about 25 years after my first Pine Cone, my son did a Pine Cone as well!

Last night, I was talking to my son about his first race and the rest of the series. As it stands right now, I think he is hooked to! In all likelihood, we will be at the Mini Moose (and i will do the Loose Moose just for the sake of some continuing punishment!), and we will be at the Pine Cone as well.

Another key point made by Magoo: "It's great to see parents AND kids doing something together!" - what other form of racing do you as a father get to ride along with and support your kid? None that I know of! Ok...I am a sappy sort I guess, but it was soooo COOL to zero a check WITH my son! A far cry better than simply seeing a score card after an event and say congratulations to him!

So - Magoo, Mike M and crew - you are like a bunch of drug pushers, getting us hooked - on one heck of a good "drug"! Thanks!

Pat (70Marlin) I have a couple other pics you might want - send me your direct email address and I will send them to you (I dont have your address in my computer - thought I did!)

Smit Dog - we can talk about the royalities on the pics later on (beer works for me!).

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
KTM Mike said:
... Another key point made by Magoo: "It's great to see parents AND kids doing something together!" - what other form of racing do you as a father get to ride along with and support your kid? None that I know of!
We stood out in windy 48° temps for almost 3 hours last evening watching 9-10 year olds play baseball. Another 2-3 hour game tonight, and it's trying to snow right now. :| I can only imagine how cool it would be if we could dedicate the 8-10 hours of BB a week to riding instead.... :think: Not going to have a problem with Zach missing his Saturday game for ROS!

Hey Mike... I'm sending in my Loose Moose registration. Let's hook up on the same minute.

BTW, Grandpa Marsh also took some great pics out at his check.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Mr. Magoo (aka co-chairman of the Family Enduro Series) can speak for me anytime. Unless, he is telling a new racer that the Loose Moose would be a good event to start your racing career - ESPECIALLY the National caliber event. The National events have to be 85 miles long and you ride the same trails as Lafferty, Hawkins and Lykke.

On Saturday, I pointed out to a DNR manager from Lansing, the whole point of having these events are for the families. KTM Mike - what a great picture of you finishing the race with your son following close behind. I wish I had a camera when I told Badgerman that Ian had the best score of the event. Honestly, I do not think he believed me
Thanks guys for the memories!!! The Spring Pine Cone will be an annual event.

Looking forward to the Mini Moose. Magoo, I convinced Don Marsh that he can captain a check crew and he did a great job. I think you can count on two check crews for the Mini Moose - Team PTP will also have a crew.

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
Looks like everyone had a great time. I enjoy reading everyone's comments here. Wish I was there to see all the smiling faces. Good job to everyone involved.

Napper
Team PTP Mechanic

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mike M - now dont get the wrong idea on my comment about Magoo - that was before it was a national (3 years ago) - and something of a standing joke between the two of us.

Yeah that shot of Mark and I is a nice one (my darling wife gets the photo credits) - proudly displayed on my screen saver at work now. And I gotta imagine that Badgerman is feeling pretty good about Ian as well! I hope that DNR manager got the message. Heck email them a link to this thread if they want more proof!

Smit Dog - I am not 100% on the Loose Moose for me this year (but steadily getting closer!) but sure thing if you want a slow guy on your minute! (it is nice to have some one you can look faster than!). Dont count on me for timekeeping skills either! Can we pick our minute when we preregister? I definetly want to be after the A and AA riders!

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
another thank you to the people that made pine cone happen.it was my sons first race he had a blast and now ca'nt wait until july.for us it was worth the 5 hour ride from illinois.it cool to see him in some of the photo's.of course we forgot our camera.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Results from this event are posted in two places on the D14 website. The Hare Scrambles page provides a breakdown by class and everyone's score. The Enduro page has the points awarded to each rider (except that we missed Ian - will be corrected).

Top Bottom