KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am sure Smit Dog will have a link to the results posted here by tomorrow - particularly as he was able to scroll through them on his laptop Saturday night as we sat around BSing ... (gotta love that technology - great job SmitDog.

Meanwhile - we can do some bench racing. MXgirl230 posted some of her experience in her "We're in" thread.

My kids did well. My oldest boy got a 3rd (16 to 19 years old) - he has only been on a bike for 1 year. He missed a 2nd place by 2 seconds on a tie breaker check. My youngest got a 10th (12 to 13 )- he seems to have a thing for endos in the woods, and remodeling the front of his KDX. I dont even recall how I did for sure...way back though - I stayed with my younger son to help out in case of endo! Not real important how I did - the fun ride was! I did get scored simply so I could officially say I "raced" the Penton - this would make it race # 99 for the old scoot. Young Ted (Inca) did the previous 98 races on it!. #100 will deserve something special. I think the suspension on that bike was clearly invented WAY before Whoops were!

Our ride started out a bit uh...late? I guess. My son's KDX got flooded as he was starting it to head to the start - I let the Penton idle for a bit (untill it stalled) while I started to assess what was going on... got my son's bike going with a fresh plug, about 5 mintues before our minute came up. I start the Penton, head out..it stalls! I cant re-start it! It had fouled a plug while idling there. I push it back to trailer - swap out a plug, start it up, head to the start - to roll in a couple seconds after our minute had came up - my kids still sitting there not sure what to do! Our ride improved significantly after that.

My wife, the boys and I did the tree planting thing today - had a great time, then we helped F&S and TC pull arrows. A flat tire on the Penton caused me to take some easy roads and two tracks back, but the rest of the crew had a great time.

Great job LMC!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
well....

We camped at the Kalkaska camp ground and got up at 6 Am to arrive at the start at 7 AM. I delivered my laptop to Bill so he could network 3 of them for final sign up and scoring.

I wandered aroun half asleep and talked to people -it's like a big family at the enduros. I gathered my check stuff and Mike helped assemble a check team that consisted of myself, Tonya Fowler, Denny, Katies dad and Trisha.

Max Lamee wanted to ride with Erin so I finally fount him near the end of sign up and got them connected. I wished my daughter best of luck after making sure this time her speedo was set to MPH and the correct key time. The rest would be up to her.....

We had a 30 minute drive to the check so off we went. We set up and got to enjoy seeing all the riders into their first check, there was an assortment of scores from a few minutes hot to several late. ( My daughter came into it 30 seconds hot and I dreaded that her day would be another disaster like last weekend -,more on that later...) Our check was number 1 and number 7 on the second 18 MPH loop. I could tell that the higher speed average on the second loop was pressing a majority of the riders to bo on time as several that easily zeroed it the first loop were a tad late into it this time. (I was pleased to see my daughter arrive just a few seconds behine Fast Max Lamee at about 22 seconds into her minute and zero the check. I felt better as the day wor on as I knew the competators in her class all were late into that check EXCEPT MXGIRL230 who burned it by 1 second! I didn't realize it was her until she passed through as I was concentrating on the front tire of the bike and the time it crossed the plane of the flags as I knew this was a close one. Come to find out the "Scrub" she was doing was unintentional as she was just rying to not hit her husband Phil but dfang near zeroed the check! We continued to enjoy the participants come through the check and it was a perfect day, perfect trail conditions and lots of happy riders.

After we pulled in from our check I went into see if they needed help with scoring but they had it under control and the scores were posted pretty quick.

Well I was happy to see that although my daughter burned the very first check she got it under control and zeroed all the check she was able to be on time to and did real well in the "late" checks and ended up in first place 1 minute ahead of Tracie. :cool:

Mean while Max unfortunalty followed Erin into that first check and burned it as well and that was the only flaw in his score for the day as he zeroed the entire course after that and ended up with the overall win and the BIG tropphy. Good job littly buddy! I guess you will be teaming up with erin again??? You 2 rode well toghther and she would chase you when she was late. CW 250 and Ted rode with them to keep them safe....thansk for that. I feel good knowing that help is never far away.

I had to deliver my RV to Paul to get the damages repaired ths following week so I had to miss the tree planting but I was able to get Erin out there to reporesent our family.

It was a really great weekend and I was happy to see a good turn out and great weather. :cool:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Fred T said:
EXCEPT MXGIRL230 who burned it by 1 second!

:bang:

I would have made it if I had listened to Phil when he said "COME ON"...I was waiting for Dave's daughter and son in law. I have no idea what I was thinking...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
MXGirl230 said:
:bang:

I would have made it if I had listened to Phil when he said "COME ON"...I was waiting for Dave's daughter and son in law. I have no idea what I was thinking...

Actually you should have just waited a bit longer...you were 1 second early, not late. Ah time keeping...ya godda love it. :coocoo: Phil scorched that thing by several seconds. Maybe he should listen to you! :nod:

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I had a blast. It was my first time riding the CR250 at an FES. I was very nervous about riding it as well. I took it to Roselawn to ride but fouled a plug and did not have any extras, so last minute I ended up riding the XR250. The CR was a different beast than I am used to. For one, the clutch was dragging. When I came into the first check (Fred T's check) it stalled, and I had trouble getting it started because I was in gear. (That will be fixed ASAP). I had troubles at about every check with the bike stalling. I loved the bike when it came to hills, because the bike gained power going up, unlike the XR.

The second loop, I had issues when I came up to a group of riders waiting for time to pass. I knew I was running about a minute behind, and those riders were about 4 minutes ahead of me. I stopped to rethink my timing. When I decided I was correct, I took off and a kid on an RM85 began to take off and tipped over causing his rear fender to catch my leg taking me down. I did my best not to land on him, and He was ok. I picked the bike up. The CR is a lot lighter than the XR, picking it up was easy. I could not start it. I had to have help from hubby on that. I took off and was late for the first check.

We have been taking the XR250 with us, so if someone bike had issues they could ride it. Well this weekend it was my husband. His CR500 had no compression, I guess Roselawn did a number on the bike. He ended up riding the XR calling it a girly bike. When he passed me he did look strange on it.

My daughter Megan was upset she placed behind me again in our class. I told her her bike is holding her back. We have been trying to Get her off the XR200 for a while now, but she has not been ready. She has it in her mind she is ready, so maybe at Marquette she will be on a different bike. We are not quite sure what to get her yet.

My son TJ did the best in the family only gettng two point for a second place finish. Phil came in Third behind him.

KTMmike it was great meeting you and putting a face to a name.

Last edited:

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Fred T said:
EXCEPT MXGIRL230 who burned it by 1 second!

MXGirl230
That one second cost you 2 points. One second later and you would have beat Erin. :bang:
It was great to talk to you again. And about the MX challenge, I'm game. I just want more practice time on an MX course and the CR. But is there an old woman class?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
WomanRider said:
But is there an old woman class?

Women Sr or one of the age group classes, which are still super fast guys. There is usually only a few of us in women senior, well it depends on the track. Sometimes there are quite a few of us.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
MXGirl230 said:
Women Sr or one of the age group classes, which are still super fast guys. There is usually only a few of us in women senior, well it depends on the track. Sometimes there are quite a few of us.

I am refering to OLD with gray hair like me. The Womans SR class is still for the very young in age. Me I'm old, just young at heart.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
First time out, getting my feet wet with the whole timekeeping thing. 40L division. I was lucky. The two other guys kept me on schedule as I was getting aquainted with time managment. We came in 7th,8th, and 9th. Good fun. I hope to make the one in July.
Trying anything new when your 49 helps to keep the batteries charged.
Thanks.

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
What a weekend!
I let the Double D's do all the time keeping and then went over the mistakes after the checks. Although they didn't win they had a great time and riding all day with my boys was "Priceless"
A big thanks to Mike Maurer for letting me ride his monster 450. I had more fun then a person should be allowed!

YAMAHUNT

Jul 6, 2006
What a great weekend.......I am so glad it rained all week!

Well this was my girls first enduro, and she did really well! That deep sand made for a long day for her though. She fell 15-20 times and never once got discouraged, until the last one right before the road crossing. Major get off! She was about 40 mins late at that point, so we decided to call it a day as we started back in the 30's and didn't want to be in the way as the riders came around for loop #2. She did great on the hills and logs though. Rode buddy class also, Travis was repeating everything I was saying to his sister....sure he will pay for that. Nothing better than a trail ride in the great north!!!!!!!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Testimonials on why we call it the FAMILY enduro series!!

My dad decided not to ride the event. Thanks to DW I got SCREAM around on a 200 and dual sport with my dad. We made sure all of the check crews were in place before the first bikes arrived.

It was a great weekend! Thanks to everyone who helped out at the event. Many LMC club members were at sound test, sign up, pre ride, sweep ride, check crews and road crossings. We also had A LOT of non member volunteers who helped on this event - these efforts will not go unnoticed. THANK YOU.

Round # 3 of the Family Enduro Series will be in Marquette on June 9th.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
KTM Mike said:
... I let the Penton idle for a bit (untill it stalled) while I started to assess what was going on... got my son's bike going with a fresh plug, about 5 mintues before our minute came up. I start the Penton, head out..it stalls! I cant re-start it! It had fouled a plug while idling there.
Geez Mike, I really wish I would have known... I would have certainly stopped and given you a new plug! :nod:

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
Thanks LMC and gang for putting on these events. The two
loop format is perfect. The little kids must be hammered and have had enough after the first loop and the bigger kids and adults get to go for another faster loop. My 5 yr old daughter still has a "perma-grin". She whooted the whole ride
counted whoops told me what way to go (kinda like riding in the car with her mother) only at the finish did she complain her butt was sore. The goal was to just finish, somehow we zeroed the first loop with just a sweep hand watch a route sheet and no odo. Pure luck. She is sure to be dissapointed the next time.

Riding buddy is interesting, you have to sit the whole time look off to one side to see the trail. There are feet on top of yours half the time , blocking the brake pedal the other half, and freqent unwanted downshifts and "neutrals " by your copilot are normal. I almost forgot the constant rattle of hemets banging together. :) Truth be told we had a blast.

RedGreen

Jul 20, 2005
We had an awesome time :cool:

I would have zeroed the course with only 16 tiebreaker seconds if I had known that I didn't have 3 free miles after the OB check. I burned the check after that by two minutes. :bang: Oh well, live and learn.

LMC did a great job with everything, including the weather. We always look forward to the pine cones, and can't wait for the fall.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Timekeeping lessons learned.....they question was asked in the enduro school before the race. I was careful with the answer stating that the 3 miles of free time was only after a red or green check.
RG - I am sure you will teaching the enduro schools in the future.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
SCOOBY450 said:
wow! :yikes: where is helmet cam when you need it? any pics?

Yeah man!!! You should have seen me on that girly bike. I was smoking the trails....Just keep it up buddy you will be riding that this summer. :laugh:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
fatherandson said:
Timekeeping lessons learned.....they question was asked in the enduro school before the race. I was careful with the answer stating that the 3 miles of free time was only after a red or green check.
RG - I am sure you will teaching the enduro schools in the future.

What can I say.........ya try to bring 'em up right..........

Actually it's probably my fault as I think I skipped that lesson during the review while driving to the race on Satuday morning. :coocoo:

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
bruno670 said:
Yeah man!!! You should have seen me on that girly bike. I was smoking the trails....Just keep it up buddy you will be riding that this summer. :laugh:
I couldn't believe that the "chick bike " would haul you around! :nener:

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
before the start, he was questioning whether it would do the 18 for the second loop. i remember passing him in the woops after the first little bit of road and not seeing him until i stopped just short of the emergency check at 12 miles in to check my time. i was surprised to see he was only about 20-30 seconds behind me. must of been all the heavy kicking of his bike made him twist the throttle of the girly bike that much more.

Top Bottom