springs for a retard

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I realize stiffer srings will help the front of a KDX. I weigh 210, and my question is this.......

I ride very easy (a big wuss). Would the stiffer springs auctually help me? I don't want to loose any fork plushness. As a matter of fact, I'm not unhappy with the front (stock), just wondering if there is a benefit for a slow rider.....

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Hey amigo...I'm about 210 or so, dressed out and did the XR 400 spring mod. I'm very happy with mine, but probably ride too fast for conditions much of the time :eek: Unless you really notice your forks bottoming out a lot...stay with what you have. With all the creekbeds and rocks around this neck of the woulds, the stockers aren't half bad.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I am old and very slow. I love the stiffer springs (of course not too stiff). You just do not go down in the holes as far and going downhill feels much safer, as you ride higher in the stroke. I am using one of the XR choices which are not only a little stiffer than stock, but LONGER, so with the same or a little less preload than stock you have more! useable fork travel. With your weight you will appreciate the added control. Best and easiest $60 you can spend on the KDX. If you improve your riding skills and ride faster; spend the $60 on fork springs so you don't have to spend 10 X that on medical bills. Reference other posts in the archives.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…