wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i just got enough money to buy my self some suspension upgrades. :)
but i can only go for one right now.
1. valving
2. fork spings.
I know i need new fork springs b/c for one the ones i have arn't for my weight.
but what would give the best ride as of right now if i have to choose between one. it may be awhile before i can go with the other.
would the new springs be a significant accomplishment gain or would the valving kit be better?

one more question, my recomended spring rate is .367.
stock is .336
the closest to that that race tech has is a .41
should i just go with the valving since i can't get the right spring rate?
plus why is stock so soft. i weigh 115 pounds w/o gear and race tech is telling me i need to go w/ a stiffer spring? i thought 125's came stock for some weighing around the 150lb range

Last edited:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
If your springs are wrong, then new valving is pissing in the wind since it is still using the wrong springs.

Also, if your fork springs are wrong, odds are your shock spring is wrong too.

Look at it this way: you've got a gunshot wound (wrong springs) and might also have cancer (wrong valving), which would you treat first?

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
what do you mean "put one in w/ a stock spring"? the shock for now i'm not worried about, b/c i can adjust rebound and compresion and this helps alot!! as odd as it sounds. the guy before me had shock work done by factory performance. i just want to put some money into the front now.

why put the .41 springs in? there too stiff. right?

white brothers has the .37 (which is close enough) in stock for $85. would this be a better choice?

one more question: if my stock springs are softer, then the gold valve kit wouldn't work right now?

Last edited:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Once again, no matter how much you piss with damping if you have the wrong springs, on both ends, you're wasting your time.

The springs carry the load. The damping controls the movement. You CANNOT fix one by adjusting the other.

Also, fixing just the forks and leaving the shock too soft is, once again, pissing in the wind. Both ends of the bike have to work properly or you'll just be chasing your tail.

Put correct springs in both ends and ride it. THEN you can decide if the damping needs work. Throwing random parts at it is just wasting your money.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i must not have said this be fore, but the guy who had the bike brfore me only put work into the rear shock. the spring i have is just about right for my weight, not dead on, but close. the bike rides nice. the spring is alittle on the stiffer side then the softer side.
except for the front. which i'm deciding on buying the .37 springs from white brothers for $85.

i really want to know why this bike came stock with such soft springs? stock is .336kg

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
In that case, buy front springs. Once you have the proper springs in it, you can see if the damping needs reworked or not.

Top Bottom