keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
My KTM has a 14/50 sprockets. Is that just a safe allround ratio? I like to climb but I also like the speed. Two Q. What MPH am I looking at with this ratio, top speed? Second what do you suggest for trails?

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I like the back country trails, but I cross alot of fire roads to get where I want. Most is very rocky loose and solid. My bike has lots of power, more than I could ever use, but when I go from a dead stop directly up a goog climb the bike wants to jump and take it at 100mph where I would like a nice strong climb without my backend flyng around.

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
I have found the 14/48 combo on my 426 wasn't allowing for the top speed I wanted. This bike can run a lower gear ratio with no adverse effects because it has plenty of power and low end torque. I went with the 15/47 and was very happy.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
15/47 would be the same as my current 14/50. 3 teeth =1 on the small sproket right. Now I am having a new issue. I took it out this weekend it ran fine, other than two min. down the trail it died due to neglect to turn the fuel lever on. I took it of the trailer today and for the life of me I couldnt get it to start with or without choke. With choke it fires up second kick every time. It took 15-20 than I took it for a run and it is hesitating before the band. 1st and second hit fine but 3rd 4th it would nearly put me on my back and it seemed like it didnt even hit. It still pulled its weight but it seemed to have halfe the power. Can a fould plug do this?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
14/50 gearing = a ratio of 3.57:1
15/47 gearing = a ratio of 3.13:1

That's a huge difference, about a 12% increase in top speed if the bike would pull it.

brix31

Jun 24, 2006
keefbikes said:
15/47 would be the same as my current 14/50. 3 teeth =1 on the small sproket right.

Actually he made is gear ratio taller then yours. On his rear sproket by 6 teeth. One tooth higher on the front then yours = 3 teeth taken from the back sproket. Additionally he went down three teeth on the rear sproket. This 3+3 = 6. Again this would equal 6 teeth taking from the rear, making for more speed.

brix31

Jun 24, 2006
Did you check your plug to see if it's fouled? If it is through a new one in or clean up the old one with carb cleaner and scotch brite pad.

What was the weather like? If it was really hot or cold that could effect it. Is your filter clean? Maybe your carb or the fuel lines have some crud in them. :coocoo:

Top Bottom