Sprokets, Renthal or factory steel?

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
i had renthal sprokets on my previous bike and on the new bike 99 KDX220 that i picked up it has a steel 49 tooth rear, i want to change it back to stock 47 and replace the front sproket as well and was thinking of just getting the factory steel ones instead of the renthals because they are much cheaper, anyone got any opinions, do they last as long as the renthals?/are renthals worth the price, will most likely get a xring chain too.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The life of each and every sprocket is mainly determined by the care and maintenance of your chain.
All sprockets, no matter what material they are made of, will become deformed in time when they are run with a stretched or faulty chain.
Aluminum sprockets will show this wear quicker than steel will, however steel sprockets are more robust and will tend to help kill your chain faster than it would with the softer sprocket.
If you keep an eye on your chain and don't let it elongate past 3% of it's stock length, ANY sprocket will do. But like I said, the steel ones tend to fight the change that is inevitible and they will trasfer the force back to the chain links themselves. An aluminum sprocket will tend to let the teeth deform quicker. In either instance it's the chains doings, not the material of the sprocket that counts.

Next post will be something like "I run steel sprockets and they last forever" well....I can make an aluminum sprocket last just as long as the steel. All wagers accepted! :)

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I agree with your comments Jaybird. I take care of my chain, and also I have a Renthal on the rear that has been there for over a year now. The teeth look good. Since the chain is the most money in this equation, I went with aluminum. Good choice IMHO.

:yeehaw:

Top Bottom