wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I just bought a 99 yz250 from a guy and after a day at the track I blew out my fork seals. I've never replaced seals or re-built a fork and I don't have a service manual for the bike, so I'm in the dark here. I can't seem to find and buy a factory manual for it anywhere. Second issue is, my rear shock seems to be riding well, but it squeaks pretty loud whenever I'm just sitting on the bike and bouncing up and down. Is that a sign of what's to come and should I service it now, or is that normal?

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
Your problem is solved, click on mx-tech,(on the left) go to support, KYB bladder fork rebuild! As far as the squeaking, its the rear suspension linkage bearings, take it apart and grease them or more likely replace them, its not normal but very likley on a 99. There a several suppliers that sell a replacement bearing kit.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
minutz said:
Your problem is solved, click on mx-tech,(on the left) go to support, KYB bladder fork rebuild! As far as the squeaking, its the rear suspension linkage bearings, take it apart and grease them or more likely replace them, its not normal but very likley on a 99. There a several suppliers that sell a replacement bearing kit.

Agreed with minutz. Send your 'spenders off to MX-TECH. They will do you right.

Hearing some Squeaks? ... three possible things.

1) Linkeage bearings are toast
2) Rear brake pads are toast
3) You are married to Squeaky :p

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
My wife is only squeaky some of the time :yell:, and it's usually when I'm spending money on my bike, but I'm pretty sure it must be the Linkeage bearings. My brake pads are new and I can only hear it when my bike is shut off and I bounce up and down on it. I just figured it was my bike telling me to fix it before it becomes an issue... I'm going to try to find a factory manual on my bike and fix the forks myself, but I don't want to get in there before I get a manual. I'm just having a hard time finding one...

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Tearing apart your linkeage and replacing the bearings is never a bad thing.

As far as the "I blew out my fork seals", there is a quick check on that that may save you some money. I'm assuming by that satement, you have fork oil seeping out. I've ridden Yamaha for 17 years, and have always had trouble with the fork seals. Go to your local store and purchase some 35mm film. Cut a piece off and slide it up in the fork seal, work it around and watch all the nasty grime/grit that comes out. I do this on a regular basis, needed or not, and save myself a lot of time and money on seals that aren't actually bad, just munged up and leaking.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you have the answer, right here in this forum.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I don't know if I'd call it seeping, or spooging. It's coming out pretty quickly, but I'll definitely try the film. My wife is a photographer so we have plenty of that around. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom