David Barber

Feb 9, 2009
I have good brake pads on front but they still squeak? :coocoo: I have tried stuff called brake quiet from auto store but still squeaks. :bang: Anybody know what causes this and how to fix?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Could be a few things. Contaminated pads, glazed rotor or lack of lubrication are most common.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
The back of the pads may be too dry against the pistons, sometimes that is where the squeek comes from rather than the pads on the disc.
On some cars they put a thin metal shim between the pads and pistons to stop the squeek. I removed the shim on my car and it squeeked so I put it back, no squeek.

More than willing to accept I could be wrong about your bike, but it's worth a look.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Brake cleaner is the only thing to ever spray on to clean/quiet. They are probably permanently glazed. Is the rotor colored or grooved? Braking red backed pads. A lot of the alleged better material pads are junk, and will for ever squeak, what kind do you have? Vintage Bob

David Barber

Feb 9, 2009
I have EBS pads. Rotors are grooved some. I will try the brake cleaner. I will also try the braking pads next time. Squeeky pads really annoy me when I ride. Thanks for all the help.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the brake cleaner works for a little while, then starts squeaking again. They are runt, some fluid has soaked pretty deep into the pad, junk. Clean the rotor good with hot soapy water, and a purple scotch brite pad, rougher than green. Contaminants build up in the slots, they get hot and run to the pad. Squeaky brakes, is almost as bad as no brakes! Vintage Bob

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I notice a younger guy while at durhamtown plantation in sthe spring that had a kdx, so I walked over to him to talk he was lubing his chain and I pionted out that the chain was really tight, he said it was alway like that and it wasn't a problem, after lubing the chain he sprayed the chain lube at his wheel bearings he then sprayed his front and rear rotors, at this piont I just walked off and went back to camp and told my buddy about it!! we joked for a while about his anti-lock-brake know how and speculated about what he was smoking..

bet his brakes did not make any noise!!!

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
If you have done all the right things and your brakes still squeak, honestly have a look at the back of the pads where they meet the pistons and on the other side where it meets the caliper. If it is metal to metal take them off and spray a little heat proof paint on them to see if it makes a difference. I have just been doing a little more research online and just like on my car people are fixing squeaks by treating the back of the pad at its contact points.

If not you are just going to have to pick up that trick from the young fella at durhamtown. :laugh: Sr5bidder did you get to see which hospital they took him to after his crash, I am sure he had one!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Simply cleaning the corrosion from the caliper and pads and lubricating all contact points with a waterproof brake grease may alleviate the problem.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Joburble,
No I did not even look for him the rest of the day as he was kinda short with me (rude) not the usual kdxer, when I pionted out the chain that had 0 slack, too when I saw him dousing the rest of his bike including the brakes with chain lube I knew that this is not someone who I would be able to compare notes/ share intelligence with...probably from Alabama (sorry gladtoride, as you know more about kdx's than Kawasaki)

Top Bottom