supajdogg

May 1, 2007
I installed my new .48 racetech springs, and now the forks squeak when I compress them. I think what I hear is the springs rubbing against the wall of the fork. Is this normal??? I'm pretty sure they weren't squealing before....

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Are your forks in proper alignment?Are your pinch bolts on the clamps properly torqued?

The pinch bolts are tight, and the alignment shouldn't have changed because I didn't take the clamps off, I just removed the caps. I did it just like the manual says. Loosened the caps, removed them from the pushrod, removed the stock springs, installed new springs, put caps back on pushrod, and extend the forks back out and tighten the caps down. I don't see what could have gone wrong???

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the stem is loose it will make the forks twist and make a squeaky sound.If the pinch bolts are loose it can do this also.I do not believe I have ever heard a spring squeak or scrape!

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
The bike is only 3 weeks old. I just went out and took it all apart again. The forks look to be in line. The stem is tight, the pinch bolts are tight. My stock springs had a little metal clip on the bottom of them, looks like a washer but has ears to hold onto the spring. I transferred these to the new springs, and put the t-washers and spacers in just like they came out. The only other difference is the new springs are about 1/2" longer, but I didn't change the spacers because I wanted the extra preload because I'm still a bit on the heavy side for these springs. I've tried reversing the t-washers, no change. Am I supposed to bleed out the air somehow? The manual doesn't mention it.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I would talk to Jeremy or Brandon.I do know of some forks with heavy springs and they squeak also.Thorman put some springs in his bikes,like 50 something,he knows a guy,and when you said that about being longer,well yes the Maico squeaks and the KX does not.Do the forks sag any,just under its own weight?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
As you tighten the cap down the spring is wound up slightly and it will cause it to rub the outer fork tube. Over time it will work itself out and become silent again.

One trick it to take the fork leg off the big, hold the lower leg and hold the cap, then turn the upper leg to tighten the cap down. This way the spring doesn't have any twisting force on it and stays nice and stright.

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
Hmm, figures it would be something wierd. Never crossed my mind that I was winding them up. I figured the spring and the valve stack were spinning along with the cap, but now that I think about it, ....yeah. So it's not gonna hurt anything to go thrash it and let them straighten themselves out, right? Spinning fork tubes sounds like no fun, and I don't really care as long as it'll work itself out without hurting anything.

Question part B, is there a target sag measurement for forks like there is for the rear? I would like to get her set up as good as I can.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
No,there is no specific measurement,other than ride together with the rear,balanced.I would think that they could achieve sag by a different spring rate and revalve combo.I see guys ride setup like that and it makes my back hurt!Just out of curiosity,with the front wheel in the air,turn the wheel to the stop and put pressure against it and see if it makes the sound you hear,you could hold the wheel between your legs and rock the bars back and forth also.Inside your triple clamps the fork legs build up alot of flashing,it needs to be removed for a proper hold on the forks.

supajdogg

May 1, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
No,there is no specific measurement,other than ride together with the rear,balanced.I would think that they could achieve sag by a different spring rate and revalve combo.I see guys ride setup like that and it makes my back hurt!Just out of curiosity,with the front wheel in the air,turn the wheel to the stop and put pressure against it and see if it makes the sound you hear,you could hold the wheel between your legs and rock the bars back and forth also.Inside your triple clamps the fork legs build up alot of flashing,it needs to be removed for a proper hold on the forks.

By balanced do you mean it should sag the same amount in the front as it does in the rear? or just adjust so it doesn't feel softer or harder than the rear? I'm running about 3 1/2" sag in the rear, and it's not even close to that in the front.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Yes,even,have someone hold the bar and bounce on the pegs,should go evenly.You did not call the doctor(Jeremy)?Shorter springs could surely achieve sag.Besides they could be the wrong spring,you could take a piece of pvc the closest size under the fork id,cut spacers evenly 1/2 inch shorter than stock,or until even sag is achieved.

Top Bottom