Squirrels in the engine compartment!!!

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
As I jumped in the truck to get gas for the bike on Sunday, I heard something under the hood. I get out in time to see a squirrel jump out from under the truck. I lifted the hood and found a nest next to the fuse box. As I cleaned out the nesting material I started pulling finding bits and pieces of wire. The @#!* thing was chewing through the main wire harness going to the fuse box.

I was hot. Good thing we don't have any firearms in the house because I was ready to unload.

My question: How can I safely discourage / distroy these pesky creatures? I live in a housing development so I have to be careful of children and pets.

Help!!!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
A few years back a bunch (pack?) of squirrels made a nest on top of the engine of the wife’s minivan. My wife was sitting at a drive through window at the bank and the front end burst into flames. Someone from the bank came running out with a fire extinguisher and put it out.

I got to tell you though, I was mad as hell. Not at the squirrel's, but the person at the bank who put the fire out. The minivan had 168,000 miles on it, the transmission was leaking like the Exxon Valdese and the a/c wasn’t working. The insurance company wouldn’t total it either. It was repaired and 3 months later I had it towed to a junkyard when the transmission finally gave out.

KineticPoet

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2002
Product called Ropel (rodent repellant)

http://www.epinions.com/content_15484751492

Seems some people have used this for your exact problem with pretty good results.

RO-PEL may not work for everyone, but it did the trick for me. I sprayed all the wires and hoses in all three cars twice as directed and have had no rodent attacks since, though I have seen a few daring guerrilla squirrels creeping guardedly along the fence in the backyard, black face paint under their beady eyes and tails camouflaged with leaves. RO-PEL is supposed to be odorless, but a foul odor seeped into the car's passenger compartment nevertheless and lasted about a week. Maybe this is because some overspray landed on surfaces that became very hot. Overall I am pleased with the effectiveness of the RO-PEL and have plenty left over in case I have to do battle again with the squirrel menace.
U-Spray Inc. has a terrific and useful website with copious information about common pests and ways to combat them. (http//:www.bugspray.com)
Another recommended pest repellent is Rid-A-Critter, a foul-smelling formula available in liquid spray, gel, and granule compositions.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by RV6junkie
A few years back a bunch (pack?) of squirrels

It is a "squadron" of squirrels.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
If they are the Red variety i know of a great exterminator! Where are you ~D? :)

Actually you can nail a rat trap to a tree and put some peanut butter on it. It works great but sometimes you catch a bird or two. A "live" option is a live box trap. Then you can transplant it on someone elses property.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Squirrel Removal: One case .223 rounds, one AR15, a bushel of corn and one case of beer,

1) dump bushel of corn on ground in open area.
2) drink a beer
3) load clip
4) drink a beer
5) insert clip into assault rifle
6) drink a beer
7) wait for squirrels to show up to eat
8) drink a beer
9) blow squirrels to kindom come
10) drink a beer
11) repeat 7 - 10 until beer is gone

:p

Last edited:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
That's only five beers.  What are the instructions for the other 19 beers?

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
Some good ideas here...I knew I could count on you guys.

I like Rooster's solution, but the neighbors are wrapped pretty tight. Maybe a cold one would loosen them up a little.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by trakkerman
Some good ideas here...I knew I could count on you guys.

I like Rooster's solution, but the neighbors are wrapped pretty tight. Maybe a cold one would loosen them up a little.

Fly me in dude!! I'll take care of your squirrel problems. :laugh: WARNING: Keep your bike out of reach of those fuzzy rats or you too will be washing pee stains off of the seat. :|

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Could'a been worse.....

Got in the truck one chilly morning a few years ago.
Turned the key over and a split second later heard this blood curdling "mmmmeeeeooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrr!!!!" - SPLATTER!

Here some stupid cat decided to curl up in the fan shroud whilst the radiator was still warm, and fell asleep.

Bet THAT woke im up. :laugh: :p :laugh:

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Originally posted by OnAnySunday
Here some stupid cat decided to curl up in the fan shroud whilst the radiator was still warm, and fell asleep.
Bet THAT woke im up. :laugh: :p :laugh:

Yah that has happened to us....you'da thought the stupid cat would have learned after the first time but.....................................

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
Rydmoto, that sounds like a good home remedy.

Originally posted by dirty~d~
Fly me in dude!! I'll take care of your squirrel problems.

dirty~d~, let's see...Tuesday the 13th is open, but I'm going to have to see some references.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
My references are Rooster, Tree jumper, TwinSpank, Squeakygirl, XRPredator and Rich. If you need more I'm sure I could get the neighbors to sign something for me. :)

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
:o "Fluffy" was a little over the top eh? :o

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Another voucher here, she is a finely honed anti squirrel warrior

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by RYDMOTO
Soak a rag in ammonia and place it near where you don't want them

Well that explains why Ivan's pants always smell like ammonia when Gomer is lurking about. All this time I just thought it was a bladder control problem. :eek:

~d has a great future ahead of her as a fuzzy rat hunter. :aj:

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
uhhhh Rich...that was ammonia.NOT ammonia nitrogen found in urine. lol I did have an epic battle with a squirrel in the eves of my home.We went at it for three weeks!Animal control suggested the ammonia trick.I drilled a hole in the wall inside the house at the eve level and i could hear him walking back and forth taunting me.I filled my garden sprayer with ammonia and let her rip.He left the house in about a half a second. hehehe I nailed up a new vent and that little bas*** chewed his way around it.So that called for another round of the sprayer.Off he went and I saw him in the tree next to the house chewing me out bigtime.......I fely like Bill Murray in Caddyshack

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Dang, I thought this thread would be about opening up Pred's head and describing what you found :confused:

Top Bottom