Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
Would a trials tire be any good with loose rock, roots, and mud. There is a huge amount of diffrent terrain here. Also Trials tires dont come in 90-100-14 do they? The Millvilles chunk after a little over 200 miles trail ride speed. (just slower then race speed not to much). A Starcross will chunk at around 175 miles, and a dunlop at around 125 miles. That is flipping the tire too. There a no real great tires for up here that I have found.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
95xr250 said:
you need about 32psi to rip and 25 for hills and trails.

Waaay too high. I run my bike on trails all over New England. I've seen more than my share of 2 ft tall square edged rocks. I usually shoot for 14 lbs in my tires front and rear. I tip the scales at just under 300 and I've never had a problem. Get a heavy duty tube and drop the pressure.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Papakeith said:
Waaay too high. I run my bike on trails all over New England. I've seen more than my share of 2 ft tall square edged rocks. I usually shoot for 14 lbs in my tires front and rear. I tip the scales at just under 300 and I've never had a problem. Get a heavy duty tube and drop the pressure.

I agree with this guy. I run some very rocky (sharp rock) trails in Arizona, with HD tubes I run around 14 psi in front and as low as 10 in the rear with Maxxis IT's. I've managed to put some dents in my 19" wheel, but no flats yet (and I do not ride slow and easy).

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
From a couple of reviews I've read lately, the new generation trials tires might just be perfect for those rocky conditions. Unfortunately, tires are too big of a PITA for me to ever really experiment with different brands or types until I absolutely have to change one. So I have no experience with them.
I can tell you that a Sakura rear tire I had lasted forever, no matter what I did to it. Unfortunately, it pretty much sucked in any type of dirt, which completely defeated the purpose of being a dirt bike tire.

Top Bottom