Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
The back tire seems to lose grip and get squirrely on my '97 YZ 125 when I really open her up... It's not so bad that I can't go WOT on it, but it feels like sometimes it loses torque because the back tire isn't gripping enough... I don't know if my weight has anything to do with it, I'm pretty small, only 130 lbs. I have Starcross tires on it.

Any ideas?

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
What kind of Air pressure are you running? What is the terrain?
How worn is the tire? Where is your body positioned? If you answer those questions it would be easier to find the problem.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
Are you riding really far up on the tank? If you are try butting your but in the middle or a little farther back but keep your head over the bars. Standing may help to.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
A hardpack designed tire will help, lower pressure will help, body positioning helps too. 125's are kind of "sliders" by nature though.....they go fast with RPMs. They're kind of a whole different animal than a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke 250, where those bikes seem to grab traction.......a 125 is spinning and screaming. My son and I can move through the woods at the same speed, me making little noise and little tire spin on my 250........he's shredding, sliding, and riding at high revs on his 125. That's why 125's are just pure fun!

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
You are so wrong.. Never put that much pressure in an MX tire..

I am not defending him but I need to run around 25psi in a regular tube up in the mountains in Pa. The rocks are unbeliveable I always see guys on the side of the trail because they ran 15psi in the rocks. I used to run around 27psi with a rugular tube, but now I can run around 20psi with my heavy duty tubes.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
026_0A.jpg

Near the bikes would be considered the extremely smooth trail. I dont have any pics of the trails I ride right now. (This Pic was from my riding bud), just take that and multiply it a few times. I know from expirence a 15-17 or 18psi tire will pinch up where I ride.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
A Starcross as of now because Dunlops chunk and I can't get Millvilles without paying big cash for shipping. It's pretty much a lose/lose situation with tires.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yeah, I don't think I'd run an intermediate tire on that terrain.. no wonder you need so much pressure.. Run the right tire, and you wouldn't have that problem. I don't think a Millville tire would be very good in those rocks either.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
I would love to run the right tire, but then I would have to get another job to pay to ride. The Millvilles work Ok but my dad has never had any luck with the Carlsbads and I figured why drop another 60 bucks with shipping to get something thats barely better then what I can get for 40. To bad I'm not a spolied brat MX kid with the perfect everything

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Matt 193 said:
I would love to run the right tire, but then I would have to get another job to pay to ride. The Millvilles work Ok but my dad has never had any luck with the Carlsbads and I figured why drop another 60 bucks with shipping to get something thats barely better then what I can get for 40. To bad I'm not a spolied brat MX kid with the perfect everything

I don't know what experience you have that says Millvilles work well on the rocky stuff. Ever seen a front tire chunk? You will if you run a Millville on even slightly rocky terrain. The only tires my friends and I haven't chunked are Michelins and Dunlops. I have no experience with Bridgestone yet.

And for the squirelly guy, where is your weight situated as you accelerate? Get your butt a little further aft and lean back to help hook up that wheel.

Top Bottom