Jh85

May 17, 2001
I was going to make my own fork brace at work, then I got looking at the src page. The kit includes the guards, guides, wipers, and the brace. I have no idea what the guide is for. The wipers don't seem necesary. I think I would leave the regular fork acordian booties on, the guards don't look like they need to be changed to me.

So is all that stuff actually necesary when you put a fork brace on a bike?

Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks,
Jared

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
I have the SRC brace and wipers on my little 280,it really stableizes fork flex in the whoops and sand,well worth the $$$. To work properly the accordian boots should be removed,so the wipers help protect the fork tubes. Also get a SRC front fender brace , in that the front fender needs to be cut on the sides for the brace, and has too much flex afterwards.It is the second mod I would do to any XR. First is snorkel removal.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I had the SRC brace on my XR4. It really helps keep the spindly forks pointed in the same direction as the handlebars.

If by "wipers" you mean the SRC fork skins, they don't come with the SRC brace. You can't use the Honda accordion fork covers because their lower mounts won't work with the fork brace in place. The Brace comes with:
  • Plastic Fork Protectors (similar to those used on USD forks, protects the tubes from rock damage)
  • Self stick patterns for cutting notches in the front fender (to accommodate the brace at full compression)
  • Guide for front brake hose (you won't be able to use the Honda guide since it is part of the accordion fork covers)
  • You are on your own as far as the speedometer cable routing goes.
The day after I ordered my SRC brace (for $200) I saw one on eBay with a "buy it now" option of $125, brand new! Then I kept seeing new ones from the same seller. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but the seller just happened to be located in the same city as SRC. Kinda made me mad to think that SRC might be selling the brace for $125, but I paid $200.

Still, I think the brace was worth it. I also had MX-Tech revalve my fork and shock. That is another worthwhile upgrade, if you can afford it. The handling improvement in sandy whoops was unbelievable. I never got a chance to test it out in the woods though. Because I got a chance to buy a WR250F for a great price, so I did. Sold the Honda at a loss (due to the suspension mods and brace).
Just more for you to consider.:)

Jh85

May 17, 2001
The bike has all kind of go fast goodies on it. The suspension isn't able to keep up with the bike. The rear spring is a little heavier than the stock one(I don't know exactly what), and the shock(if not the fork too) was sent to XR's Only by the pervious owner.

When ridding in rutted trails it seems to "wander" into the ruts and other lines. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is because of the flex associated with conventional forks ....Right?

Soooooo....

I could either:

A
Pick up the SRC brace. I probably could make one easily.... but I know that these are proven, and they get the job done.

OR

B
I have seen some Xr's with a inverted fork conversion. I have looked around for a set of forks around the same price as the brace. A local motorcycle salvage yard wanted about $650 for the front end of a 96 Cr 250, with my Xr front end in trade.:mad: If I could find a some less expensive forks that would be oddles better than the brace.

Maybe I should sratch this idea because I just thought about the setup on the Xr vs. the Cr, I would probably need a $200 revalve job, too.

I should have posted this in the Suspension Forum:confused:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
The fork brace - SRC or custom - is probably the best investment you can make for an XR. Personally, I don't have the time to mess with one off pieces when I can buy the whole kit for less than half a day's salary - my time is worth something:)
Do a search on my user name and you should find some more discussions on the topic.

Brian

Top Bottom