St. Joe's State Park ride.......err crash report

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Well TTRGuy and I finally got a chance to check out St. Joe’s State Park on Saturday. It’s not very far from us, just over an hour. We got there about 9ish and the weather was perfect. Not too cold, not too hot and not too humid! ;)
The quad to dirt bike ratio was far too high for my liking. The sandy flats are pretty fun to play around on as long as you keep your eye open for drag racing quads. I wish I could say we had an excellent day of riding but unfortunately a little black cloud seemed to be following me around all day. :( I should have had some inclination as to where the day would head when right from the get go we’re stopped at the bottom of what appeared to be two trails up hill. TTRGuy waves me on up the closer one but I want to go up the other one. It wasn’t long before I had realized this was a mistake. It wasn’t really a trail at all but a ravine that got narrower, rockier and ended up being blocked at the top by a fallen tree and boulders. I had to back my bike down all the way. :o
It had rained pretty good the day before so there were several muddy sections. Mud is definitely not an element I’m used to. One minute you’re slip sliding around with no traction the next minute the meaning of the term “hooking up” was all too clear!
I had my first pretty bad crash of the day (or ever, really) on another up hill. No mud but a small out cropping of rocks near the top and to the left side. There was a pretty good-sized rut up the middle so you had to go to the left. Well I’m not exactly sure what happened but I went too high on the side and looped out. I fell off backwards straight down for what seemed like forever then landed on my back on a slab of rock. I rolled over into a fetal position and couldn’t move for a few minutes. I thought I had maybe broken my tailbone. Eddie was at the top and had turned to see my front wheel go straight up in the air so he was on his way to me probably before I hit the ground. Once I was able to catch my breath I made my way to the top. Two skinned up elbows and bruised tookus!
After attending to my wounds we went out again. This time to make the loop around the perimeter of the park. We passed some kids on quads having a blast in a huge mud hole. We didn’t get far before we realized there seemed to be more traffic going the other way so after I managed to extract myself from the mud we decided to turn around and go the other way. Man that mud out there is like nothing I’ve ever seen. Thick, snotty, clay-like mud that can just swallow you up. I nearly pulled my foot right out of my boot a couple of times. When I wasn’t stuck in it I was slip sliding all over it. It was by far the messiest I’ve ever been on a ride. You should have seen my KTM, I wish we had the camera. Even several trips zipping up and down through the water draging my feet wouln't get the mud off.
We didn’t get very far in the other direction when on a slight incline going through the mud, my rear tire slipped out and to the left aiming me right for a tree! After smacking into the tree the bike fell under me and I fell on top of it impaling my ribs on the end of my handlebars and smashing my knee into the foot peg (I think) Ouch! Again, I hobbled over to the guardrail and just sat there shaking my head. I guess I need more practice in the mud. I hurt my right knee so I couldn’t start the bike. Eddie got it turned around and started it for me. I told him I think I better call it quits before I do anymore damage but the day wasn’t over yet. On the way back I pulled off some whacked out version of a superman seat grab! I hit a little vertical face jump too fast and shot straight up. When the front end started to dive down it was like being on a bucking bronco. My ass flew out of the seat, my feet came off the pegs and the bike continued on with forward momentum. I didn’t let go of the bars so my arms were streched out and just when I thought it was going to get away from me I came back down on the rear fender. I managed to get my feet back on the pegs and pull myself forward. I thought I was going to loose my lunch. The guy behind me must have thought I looked like some sort of Circus act. :silly: I felt like such an idiot and all I wanted to do was get back to the truck before I was struck by lightening!
The riding area has all sorts of cool little places to ‘play’ but at about 2,000 acres it’s not nearly the size of the riding areas I’m used to. There’s no map of the trail ‘system’ and the trails aren’t marked, so we had to ask where to start and how to get to the trails from the sandy flats. There are no one-way trails either so you have to be careful. A lot of it is like Offroadr said, wide, torn up ATV trails but we meandered off on some narrower less traveled trails which were pretty cool. There are plenty of places to turn off and you can’t really get lost. We’ll definitely go again and explore some more. Hopefully I’ll have better luck!
On the way back we stopped off at Surduke Offroad and I picked up a new rear fender and some cool MSR gear on their clearance rack that they had just marked down that morning. :)

Matthew

Mar 24, 2001
That place is pretty rocky. I probably ride there 20 to 30 times a year. i agree there are too many ATV's blasting back and forth in front of the staging area. If you get to ride a harescramble there do it. Most of the trails are out of the fenced in riding area.

Matt

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Aimee, nice ride report! (even if it wasn't a very nice ride! :( )

What tires you running on that KTM? You may want to switch if you still have California-type tires on there. Mud is definitely an aquired taste. It's similar to deep sand--stay loose, and hang your butt over the rear fender to keep the front end light.

Yup, you'll be hard pressed to find "large" riding areas out in the Midwest. I hate to tell you, but 2000 acres is going to be at the top end of the scale. If you want a longer road trip, go up to Ottawa, IL and Buffalo Range (my old stomping grounds). What they lack in size (400 acres) they make up for in quality--no quads, sand pit (deep!), hills, mud, creek crossings,and a beautiful view of the Illinois River (once you get through the sand, mud, creek, and hills!)

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
I don't know what everyone elses opinion is but I was definately not impressed with this place. I guess I had Chadwick type expectations but I know I will probably not be back when I think Chadwick is 10 times better and 2 hours closer for me. What are everyone else's opinion?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
You west coasters! I see your transplant to the MUDwest is a continuing learning experience. Chin up, you'll eventually get a "feel" for muddy conditions. You may want to drop the pressure in your tires a bit, to help clean out between knobbies for better traction.

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Once again I always miss the good stuff. At least the weather was ok for you. It's typically not that muddy, and a weekday trip reduces the quad to anything ratio. There are some pretty good trails, but with the diversity of rocks, roots, hardpack, and sand, varying degrees of traction keeps your attention. Sorry I couldn't make it down, but I PROMISE to hook up soon. A guy who works for me went down with his family to camp, he's a quad guy, but I 'm workin' on him....

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Whew! Good ride report, Aimee!! Welcome to the midwest!! Yes, our mud is very hard to ride in, but you will get it. Wait until you come to Buffalo Rock and see the clay----tons o'fun! :p The offer still stands, anytime you feel like a road trip, you are welcomed to stay at our house. Hopefully I will ride in the fall, if you want to wait for me---if not, Bob will gladly show you around.

Hang in there!!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Thanks for the advice guys. The mud was kind of fun actually. I just kept laughing at myself when I would get stuck, put my foot down then it would get stuck then my legs would go in 2 different directions as I slipped all around. I looked like such a clown. :confused:
I have M-12s on my bike right now. They're practically brand new. We switched them from S-12s.
I definitely learned that I need to keep my momentum up through that stuff but I would slow down everytime I got to muddy section and just muck it all up after that. Sheesh, and all this time I thought I liked mud. ;)
Chadwick is on the must check out list as well as Buffalo Range. I'll be waiting for ya Anne! :)

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Good report and I'm sure glad you came out in one piece ! You put on quite a show. I guess it'll take you some time (it sounds like) to adjust to your new terrain ... kinda cool that you'll pick up new skills though. As you well know, we didn't see much mud out here in So Cal. :)

One tire that might work is IRC's M5B rear. It worked real well out here in the Dez but is actually a deep sand and mud tire. Wore like iron and the price wasn't too bad. Rad looking knobbies too ... a cool looking tire. It's available in 110 which would be perfect for your 200. Just a thought ... unfortunately I have no idea at all for the front.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Vegas SX ... I still haven't booked a room yet but I'll let you know what's up ASAP.

Don't let that new terrain get you down ... if you can dial So Cal, you can dial the Midwest !

Last edited:

ExC Rocket

Aug 21, 2001
go around

Sounds like a rough first time at Flat River. I ride almost every weekend at Park Hills. I like the mud but then I am use to it. The trick is to go around the mud holes made by the four wheelers. I cant think of many places where you cant get around most of the big mud. Keep in mind once summer hits all you will see it hard dirt, rocks and dust in the sand. I will take mud and cool temps any day.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Go back to the S-12 rear and keep the M-12 front (that is what most around Mo and Ar run in the woods) and meet us @ Chadwick or White Rock. White rock is about as the good as the MidWest has to offer. Many miles of trail-27 on the easy trail-with hundreds of miles of new/old trail available elswhere in the park. Meunster is also good-we hit the BlackJack event there.

Myself, Blue Thunder and KC Husky are heading down south weekend after next (this weekend is a race weekend)-let us know if you two want to go.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Personally I prefer the M12 over the S12. If I was going to ride in mud or soft terrain all the time I'd go with the S12 or if I liked to change tires I'd have both. I guess I'd rather have the M when the mud dries up instead of the S.

Running about 10 psi in the tires already.

I don't think the mud actually caused any of her crashes, just a really bad day after not riding for awhile. I totally missed the 'superman' thing but the tree crash was weird. From my vantage point it looked like she rode straight into the darn thing. Upon closer inspection we learned it was a rut and a tree root that bounced her rear wheel out.

Last edited:

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
Don't feel bad - I am from the midwest and the mud is always challenging (so I got that going for me). But it takes sand to make me really feel good about my riding! :think: Just have fun! Also - Lincoln Trails (Casey, IL) is only about 3 hours for you.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Oops, forgot the following weekend is Kahoka. If the nether region (snip)healed up, we're heading there. We'll be @ Chadwick on the weekend of the 18th.

wfodbiker

Mar 27, 2001
Gospeedracer,
I agree that most of the Park Hills(Flat River) area has been trashed by the quad boyz, but there are some single track if you look hard enough. We have got lost a few times(out of bounds) and stumbled onto some good tight trails. As far as the crashes go, I broke my arm 4 years ago thanks to the Park Hills rocks, the next week my first son was born, changing a diaper with a broken arm is interesting.....

Some of my friends have been riding Suttons Bluff and are impressed with the area, might want to check it out. Its not too far from Park Hills.

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Gospeedracer,

Glad to see you guys got settled in after moving from Cali. Flat River is a fun place to take the family and they do have some pretty technical trails if you know where to look (I feel some of the best ones were cut out after they redid the boundaries a few years ago). But, if you and TTRGuy ever get the chance to come to the Ozarks we do have quite a few areas around here to ride. Most notoriuos is Chadwick. There are sections that are definately not for the first time virgin, but there are quite a few "gentler" trails that will entertain a full weekend's ride. If you get the chance it is defiately worth the 200 mile trip.

Wade, (snip!) is that a definate on the 18th? I'm assuming you mean May? I may be able to make Blue Mound this weekend since it's relatively close, but it's not definate....I'll let you know.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Yeah, both the snip and the ride on 5/18 weekend are set in stone. Looks like bags of frozen peas for a couple of days next week and rock ridin' (too much damn fun!) on 5/18!

Get up here for Blue Mound-we've got a good crew showing up for it.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer
as well as Buffalo Range.

Amiee, Buffalo Range is about an hour and a half from me. You'll like it much better than St joes I think. Lots of singletrack, no quads allowed.

One thing to remember about St Joes is you can't get really lost since the whole place is surrounded with a guard rail, but you sure can get turned around!!

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
FYI; there is no real "mud" at St. Joes. :eek: A few mud puddles maybe but the ground is too rocky for real mud.

"Mud" is when you are at the White City enduro or the Moose Run and it's raining. If fact, anywhere in central or northern Illinois is capable of real mud on a rainy day. :debil:

Have fun!!!!!!!!! ;)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Layton
"Mud" is when you are at the White City enduro

MAN THATS NO LIE!!!! :scream:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Layton
"Mud" is when you are at the White City enduro or the Moose Run and it's raining.
Definitely!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Great report! Lemming and I did a few laps in deep mud recently. I HATE that crap! It's fun to ride in, but the cleanup is the worst.

Top Bottom