stainless steel oil filters for RFS?

Anssi

May 20, 2001
The YZ will be swapped for a 520 SX in the immediate future.

Some people have mentioned stainless steel oil filters in here. Are they replacements for the cleanable screen(s) or the cardboard oil filters?

Thanks.

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
Anssi, about this time last year we were in Helsinki. A WWII veterans parade happened to be taking place so we watched with interest. When it was over, my dumb a$$ sister wanted to talk to a few of the veterans. She approaches a woman, asked if she was a veteran. She pointed to her artificial leg, (which we didn't know), then points to her glass eye. My sister says, our father fought in that war. Fin says, who'd he fight for? Sister says he was allied bomber pilot in Italy. Fin says..."ah..then he fight against us!"

I wanted to find a hole to crawl into!
Tom:o

Scoott

Jun 1, 2000
There is one problem with the stainless steel filters that I rarely see mentioned.How well they remove WATER from the oil.If you ever run in high humidity,wet, or muddy conditions , you risk getting moisture into the motor. A paper filter absorbs moisture carried in the oil, stainless passes on through. How many high tech racing machines have you seen with stainless filters?I've torn apart every filter I replace and have extended the filter changes to every 500 miles, oil changes every 100 miles.At $10 for both filters ( aftermarket), I can do a lot of changes for $150

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
How well do you think the paper filters work with absorbed water? I run the Scotts, and have never had any problems.I also know many racers that have been running them in KTM, and Yamaha 426s that have never have had any problems. They do work, are reusable, and live up to their marketing hype.IMO:)

ktm_man

Aug 15, 2000
Stainless vs. Paper

Stainless vs. Paper... I really don't think it matters much. I opt for the paper filters because I do not want to mess with the cleaning process of cleaning a reusable filter. It's more of a convenience issue for me. It's more important to maintain a good maintenance schedule and keep clean oil in the bike.

Top Bottom