bigboss_an

Sep 21, 2005
Hello Everybody,
Been working on a friends' (1990) CR125. Bike has been sitting for about two years. Can't figure out something; bike usually starts with a kick or two, will run for about 30 seconds to a minute and then bwaaa bwaaa dies! While it runs it reacts perfectly to the throttle. I checked and replaced carb with a known good one. All jets and settings are at stock. Reeds are perfect also. When it stalls, the spark plug is wet with gas. Usually drying and reinstalling the spark plug will start up nicely but with same results. I also notice a small backfire occasionaly.
The one thing that I noticed is that the copper coil on the stator looks like it has overheated in the past (plastic isolation is cracking) and it is actually a little loose in the housing! is this normal or is a short circuit to blame? Any way to test the coil out of the bike? Thanks for reading and thanks for your feedback.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
hi, i woud check if fuel line has enough flow. if not the tank or tap may be dirty. this is usual on bikes sitting long periods.
for checking the coil you need a ohm meter (multimeter is fine) and the service manual of that particular model to cross chec the ohm values.
one thing i remember as well is eventually a coolant leak trhu the head gasket. if water enters the combustion chamber it may short out the plug gap... been there... ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Helio hits some good points, as par for my friend. Add in the stupid float valve and seat, maybe a leak down test? Its just a bike, its just basic science and math. That old of a bike, aye carumba, at ALL the possibilities, and it seems you have the potential, IMO! All your answers, are around here, in the archives as well! Look up all posts, from the GREAT Professor Blair, Eric Gorr, and Mr. Rich Rohrich! The first has sadly past our world here, RIP, the next 2 keep the faith, and are very busy, in each of their personal endeavors as well. I respect all those that give, the basic and simple truth. Me, I am a process in work, as well as many more, I hope to find for them selves as well! And I have the last 2 to tell you, have helped me the most, from the top of my heart! Curse me, for my biggest addiction, my love of racing MX. Or, just getting out there, and trying, again! Best of luck, I honestly feel you can do it!

bigboss_an

Sep 21, 2005
Thank helio lucas and whenfoxforks-ruled. I appreciate your help. I did replace the fuel line and the complete carb. I noticed a small fuel leak on the tap so while working on the bike I replaced the tank with my sons' CR80. That should eliminate any problem with fuel and carb. Because after replacing these, problem was exactly the same. I will be checking the coil and replace the spark plug just to be safe. Throughout several (short) runs I have not noticed a dropping coolant level so I'm pretty sure coolant is not getting into the chamber, but I will keep an eye on it. I will update if I find anything useful. I will also be looking at the archives for anything similar. I am familiar with Eric Gorr. But Blair and Rohrich are new to me. Thanks for the info guys!

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Airfilter or silencer have any obstuctions? How aout the exhaust port? Something to check...

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Anytime I've every had wet plug, it always came back to the carb. A worn out top end doesn't help matters either. Have you ran a compression check?? Carb have the same size slide as the original??

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
2strokerfun said:
Anytime I've every had wet plug, it always came back to the carb. A worn out top end doesn't help matters either. Have you ran a compression check?? Carb have the same size slide as the original??
If you get an old carb with the swirl technology? It will make a good garage conversation laugh or 2. Aluminum scrap prices are up to 60 cents per pound. Really!

bigboss_an

Sep 21, 2005
Problem solved! I checked the stator specs and everything was ok. I'm still concerned about the loose coil, but that was not the problem. I do not have an air filter installed at the moment and the silencer is definitely in need of a repack, exhaust port was surprisingly clean. Carb was replaced with identical unit. So, none of these could be the culprit. I did not get around to the compression test but I had a bright idea last night. My best ideas come to me when I'm half asleep :-). Today I reinstalled the stator and replaced the spark plug with a known good one. That's it! The friggin' spark plug solved everything! I have never seen a plug do that, but I'm convinced that this solved the problem. How can a spark plug work for 30 seconds and then quit, over and over again? Has anyone seen that? The engine runs fine. I need to adjust carb but it revs up nicely and does so until I shut it off. Yahooo!! Thanks to all who took the time to help. It was a good lesson for me. Try the simple stuff first! Take care.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
it´s common for electrical components, spark included, to be good while cold but fail when hot...
i had quite a problem like that on this weekend, a kids four-stroke 4 wheeler won´t start very easy when cold but when hot run like a champ... after a new spark cap and a carb clean and some fine tuning, a new spark plug replacing one that looked just fine resolves all our problems.

good to know bike is fine, now time to ride it... :cool:

Top Bottom